Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Hello from one of the Yanks across the lake

Hello everyone!!!

My name is Kevin - I live in South Carolina - United States
    I will be turning the BIG 40 in April.
    As for my occupation.....I am currently disabled - I was a Professional Chef until degenerative Disc Disease got the best of me - Basically at the age of 30 I had the spine condition of an 80+ year.
    4 Major operations later I have lot of metal plates, cages, screws and rods holding me up. Hoping and trying to put of the 5th surgery for as long as I can stand it. As painful the condition is 24/7 - recovery is really tuff.
    Anyway enough about my sad story!

I joined your group in the hopes of participating in your pen swap...That sounds like FUN.
    However When I heard about it and click over to sign up it required that I join the forum...
    No problem right?
    Well I did not gain access to replying or posting to your forum until the morning of the 26th
    I day late and $2.00 short (The saying used to be $1 but the economy has forced a change)...LOL

Anyway - Still super glad I joined and look forward to the great information discussed.

As for turning I am a member of the AAW and my local chapter “Carolina Mountain Woodturners”
    Check out the website if you like – We are one of the top chapters in the nation.
    There is a monthly speaker and gallery posted – sometimes you will see a few of my pieces in the gallery.
    I started turning with the basic spindle class that went into a bowl class – Mostly turned pens in the beginning and now I try to turn just about anything my mid size Jet 1220 will allow me too.

I am currently “trying” to learn how to cast clear and colored acrylics – I am interested in making the clear casting with decals, stickers, snake skin, assorted leathers, feathers and anything else I can think of.
    I would love to trade turning stock or be interested in purchasing any of your native materials – Tanned snake skins from Australia would be great to work with.

Nice to be a part of your group
    I look forward to being involved.

One Question?

Is there any chance that someone would like to swap a pen with me?

Kevin

Hi Kev and welcome, I'm not a pen turner I like bigger bits of wood but I'm sure you will fit right in. Bad luck about the swap thingy but the site has been under going a few upgrades and been a bit wacky of late. I'm someone would still do a swap with you though. Sorry to hear about the back, mine is not great either but nothing like yours. Ok, enjoy the forum
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

Welcome aboard Kevin. Look forward to seeing some of your work on the forum.
    Bob

"If a man is after money, he's money mad; if he keeps it, he's a capitalist; if he spends it, he's a playboy; if he doesn't get it, he's a never-do-well; if he doesn't try to get it, he lacks ambition. If he gets it without working for it; he's a parasite; and if he accumulates it after a life time of hard work, people call him a fool who never got anything out of life."
    - Vic Oliver

Hi Kevin and welcome to the forum
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Welcome to the forum Kevin.

I am in the pen swap, paired up with Lazylathe.
    I would have offered to also swap with you, but I had a little accident on Thursday and I lost the end off my finger.
    If no one else offers to swap with you, I am happy to do a swap in about 1 month or so, when my finger has healed enough to get back on the lathe.

I am sure someone will jump at the chance though, when some of the other penturners see your post.

Hello Kevin, welcome to the Forum, looks like you have a pen swap partner now, thanks Nick!! You certainly have a story to tell, wish I could turn a bowl! but I hope to turn a pen to please. Amos
    Good, better, best, never let it rest;
    Til your good is better, and your
    better, best.

Good on you Amos .

I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to take up Kevin's offer.

Thumbs up

G'day Kevin and welcome to the best spot in cyberspace!!

Hi Kevin, welcome aboard.
    You did the right thing with register yourself on this wonderful forum.
    I'm not a penturner, maybe once with finding the desire to make the jump.
    There are a lot of penturners here.
    I'm sorry to read about your sore back, don't give up !!
    Ad