Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default HVLP spray System

Hi

Does anyone use a High Volume Low Pressure spray system? If so;

1. what do you think of them.
    2. do you use it with a regular compressor or is it a complete unit?

David

Hi David,

I have a turbine system (complete system), and a conversion type gun that runs off a compressor.

The turbine unit is definitely "true" HVLP (hardly any overspray). It's a great gun for particular jobs, but I can't say I love it to bits owing to the fact that it needs low viscosity finishes to run well. Ergonomics-wise it can be tiring on the hand, with the pot and the hose hanging off the bottom of the gun.

The conversion gun is my preferred unit, it just seems more flexible with the types of finishes it can deliver. The pot is on the top, and whilst it has a little less capacity than the turbine gun, it's a lot more comfortable to use. I'm sure it's a lot less efficient (I do notice a bit more overspray), but I'm hardly a pro so this isn't a huge factor for me.

I was just thinking the other day that I need to do a bit more research for some HVLP-friendly finishes, and give them a crack through the turbine gun. It's been a while since I used it, and I've got some nice jobs coming up in solid timber that will be worthy of a good finish. Having moved into a new house I'm spending way too much time with melamine, treated pine and merbau at the moment.

I'd suggest that you need to think about what kind of finishes you'll want to put down, and work backwards from that. If you're keen on a turbine type system, The Wood Whisperer did a favourable review on the Earlex brand some time ago, which I noticed is now selling in Carbatec in both entry level and pro configurations. Both options look very well priced compared to what I paid for my unit some years ago.

Cheers,

Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Hi David,

I have a turbine system (complete system), and a conversion type gun that runs off a compressor.

The turbine unit is definitely "true" HVLP (hardly any overspray). It's a great gun for particular jobs, but I can't say I love it to bits owing to the fact that it needs low viscosity finishes to run well. Ergonomics-wise it can be tiring on the hand, with the pot and the hose hanging off the bottom of the gun.

The conversion gun is my preferred unit, it just seems more flexible with the types of finishes it can deliver. The pot is on the top, and whilst it has a little less capacity than the turbine gun, it's a lot more comfortable to use. I'm sure it's a lot less efficient (I do notice a bit more overspray), but I'm hardly a pro so this isn't a huge factor for me.

I was just thinking the other day that I need to do a bit more research for some HVLP-friendly finishes, and give them a crack through the turbine gun. It's been a while since I used it, and I've got some nice jobs coming up in solid timber that will be worthy of a good finish. Having moved into a new house I'm spending way too much time with melamine, treated pine and merbau at the moment.

I'd suggest that you need to think about what kind of finishes you'll want to put down, and work backwards from that. If you're keen on a turbine type system, The Wood Whisperer did a favourable review on the Earlex brand some time ago, which I noticed is now selling in Carbatec in both entry level and pro configurations. Both options look very well priced compared to what I paid for my unit some years ago.

Cheers,

Justin.
    Thanks for the input Justin. I'll probably give the conversion gun a go, shame you cant try before you buy. Would be a did difficult with spray equipment I guess.

David

Justin

What would you say the advantages of a conversion gun are over standard spray gun?

David

Less pressure used in a conversion gun means less overspray than a standard gun, which is pretty important if you're spraying in a domestic situation like a garage or a backyard, particularly if you don't have something moving the air around like a fan or room air filter. Less overspray means less clouds of atomised paint hanging around in the air when you're working, which is both a safety issue and a mess issue.

Cheers,

Justin.

HVLP gun is a spry gun with low air pressure, it will give you less over spray.
    Theoretically it will give you more deficiency in the transfer finishing materials. It means that more materials will stick on the surface than the air spray gun.
    But this spray gun need more volume of air pressure to make the atomization and he does not work optimally for the high viscosity finishing materials.

Good luck

wisno
    Last edited by RETIRED; 16th September 2010 at 01:07 PM.

G'day,

I use a HVLP Gun just straight off the compressor 19mm tip for Water based Spray. Works very well.

Cheers

Steve
    Discover your Passion and Patience follows.
    www.fineboxes.com.au

Default There's a new Gun on the block, LVLP

Well I just bought a Low Volume Low Pressure gun. when I was searching around I found Star made a new type of gun, which supposedly has a better transfer rate than the HVLP guns. As yet I have no idea how it will perform only time will tell, hopefully it wont be a lemon as it cost $300.00

I'll let you know how things go. If all goes well I'll be spraying tomorrow.

David

hi David, how did it go?
    regards,

Dengy

Hi Jill

It went fine, my spraying skills have never been first class, I had to swap the tip for a larger size to accommodate the water based product. There is certainly less over spray etc, I would recommend this type of gun if you already have a compressor.

David

thanks for this feedback David. I am pleased it was a success
    regards,

Dengy