Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Exclamation

So I see my comments and thoughts about insurance are to be invesigated by the inquirey set up by Anna Bligh! GOOD

Also see that some engineer/s have suggested flood gates for the creeks where water backed up. Still think it should apply to the high rises.

Tyr this test artme. Bung a towel down your loo flush it round the bend. now flush the toilet doz times

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    Just heard that Richard Vaughan's workshop had about 4m water through it. Sorry to hear, Richard, if you come on here.
    Not quite, he had about 2m through. Here is the link to flood photos and ongoing recovery of his workshop.

Cheers
    Michael

Bad enough! Glad he had a good crew of friends and helpers to help clean up, it's going to be a long job, I'd think.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Exclamation

Been reading and watching some of this post flood analysis.

Seems to me that there are too many willing to point the finger without being in possesion of all the facts. There are others who seem to have a warped view with their "coulda and shoulda" pronouncements.

I wasn't here in "74, but my understanding is that Wyvenhoe was constructed PRIMARILY to reduce, if not eliminate, the possibiblity of another '74 event. If the dam was built primarily for flood mitigation and protocols are set up to regulate the outflows to that end, then so be it. The fact that those in control of the dam followed the protocols should not be used as amunition to critcise them.

I think they were caught between a rock and a hard place. The dam has been used for water storage for domestic use AS WELL AS flood mitigation. On top of this we have had such a tremndously wet summer with rainfall records being broken left, right and centre. Everywhre the ground was saturated and runoff was extremely high.

Let's wait until a full inquiry is held before those in charge of the dam are put through any sort of scrutiny, especially trial by media.

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Been reading and watching some of this post flood analysis.

Seems to me that there are too many willing to point the finger without being in possesion of all the facts. There are others who seem to have a warped view with their "coulda and shoulda" pronouncemenst.

I wasn't here in "74, but my understanding is that Wyvenhoe was constructed PRIMARILY to reduce, if not eliminate, the possibiblity of another '74 event. If the dam was built primarily for flood mitigation and protocols are set up to regulate the outflows to that end, then so be it. The fact that those in control of the dam followed the protocols should not be used as amunition to critcise them.

I think they were caught between a rock and a hard place. The dam has been used for water storage for domestic use AS WELL AS flood mitigation. On top of this we have had such a tremndously wet summer with rainfall records being broken left, right and centre. Everywhre the ground was saturated and runoff was extremely high.

Let's wait until a full inquiry is held before those in charge of the dam are put through any sort of scrutiny, especially trial by media.
    This article by QT from OCTOBER last year gives an indication of the sort of pressure dam management was under. Thank heavens management is not under the control of politicians. I particularly like the emphatic comment dated 13th October.

Cheers
    Michael

There is an interesting discussion going on here.

Cheers
    Michael

Both extremely interesting and informative Mic!!

The discussion re saturated ground is very cogent. My yard is well set up for drainage - I owned a small iirigation property in the MIA and one thing I learnt was that it is as important to drain water from land as it is to supply it - and yet the ground was so saturated that i had to dig down and cut holes in the pipes to drain the yard. Theground was so saturated that the water simply could not percolate throught the soil quickly enough to get into the drainage lines.

At one time we had a light 5 minute shower and I had a yard covered in 50mm of water!!

To me it is reasonable to assume that the total amount of water in the areas flooded has not been accounted for by some "experts" They forgot about the groundwater!