Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default American Cherry Dye formula please

Hi, as some of you know I'm making a Queen Anne Lowboy out of Qld Maple. The plans suggest a water dye of which I have ordered from U-beaut polishes but it comes as a pack of several primary colours. My question is as I have no idea what American Cherry looks like except in the plans picture and even if I did it would not help, what colours and ratios of colours should I try to mix to get a) to highlight the figure and b) get some sort of American Cherry colour. Highlighting the figure and darkening a little the maple is my main object here.

SB
    Power corrupts, absolute power means we can run a hell of alot of power tools

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <wompatibility> <wreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <wseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </wompatibility> <wrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</wrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Is that freshly-cut American Cherry or antique American Cherry? In both cases, there is no one exact colour. I could show you twenty pieces of antique mahogany furniture, all of a different colour. That's the fallacy of giving stains and dyes names.

The simplest solution might be to find a colour you like the look of and work from there. I'll hazard a guess though that you're after a cool orange colour. Try adding a drop or two of black and/or green to orange dye and brush that onto a test piece. Once you settle on the mix, scale it up in quantity so you retain the same colour e.g. 25ml of orange plus two drops of black would equate to 100mm of orange plus eight drops of black.Try different dilutions too.
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwould View Post
    Is that freshly-cut American Cherry or antique American Cherry? In both cases, there is no one exact colour. I could show you twenty pieces of antique mahogany furniture, all of a different colour. That's the fallacy of giving stains and dyes names.

The simplest solution might be to find a colour you like the look of and work from there. I'll hazard a guess though that you're after a cool orange colour. Try adding a drop or two of black and/or green to orange dye and brush that onto a test piece. Once you settle on the mix, scale it up in quantity so you retain the same colour e.g. 25ml of orange plus two drops of black would equate to 100mm of orange plus eight drops of black.Try different dilutions too.
    Thanks WW, I thought you might be the one to reply as I know you have lots of knowledge in this area. I'll do what you say and have a play on a test piece of Maple.

SB
    Power corrupts, absolute power means we can run a hell of alot of power tools