Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Milling in Perth

Hi all,

Hope this is the right place to ask for some advise. I have a large tree, a red gum that needs to come down because it is threatening my shed. There is a lot of good wood in it and I'd really like to use it rather than burn it. The trouble is that I don't really know much about the process.

I've arranged to have the tree felled in the next couple of weeks and asked for it to preserved in large sections as far as possible. Can anybody recommend someone to mill it in Perth, specifically the North Perth Hills, Am I better having it milled on site or should I take it away in lengths. What's the best thing to do about storage while it seasons? Do I let it season before or after milling? And all the other questions I don't even know to ask.

Once I have it in managable sections then I know what to do but I'm out of my element with the front end of the timber supply process.

Many thanks

Drat - I thought you were a cow - this would have made it the first time I gave milling advice to a cow.

1) As soon as it is cut, seal the cut ends with some plastic house paint, 3-4 coats if possible. This will reduce cracking.

2) It's best to mill it when it's green.

Here's some more info you should supply to attract a prospective miller.

3) You haven't said how big the log is. Be accurate and go measure it, most people over estimate and when the miller turns up they are usually disappointed

4) You haven't said what sort of timber you want. If you want dimensioned lumber you need someone with a Lucas mill or similar.

5) If you are unsure what sizes you want then think about just having it slabbed into 50, 75 and 100 mm thicck slabs, you can always resaw to size later.

6) Do you have space around the log to be able to drive up to it?

I'd offer to mill it but I am flat out doing other stuff.

Maybe a mad cow cos you should have called me 1st?! lol

I could have safely taken the tree down and then milled it up for you Might not be too late for a free quote...

PM if your interested.

Ps What Bob said

I have had several pms from people all over WA concerning milling one log and to me it goes like this, especially with Marri (Redgum). Have the tree fallen first and then take Photos of the ends of the logs that you are capable of posting on here or emailing to a prospective sawyer so that they can asess the viability of the log. With Marri they are either good or not good, there is no inbetween. To a trained eye look for clean heavy grey bark (no bleeding) if the skin is thin doubt will come immediately. What dirt she is growing in has alot to do with it as well as if its growing in a paddock or in a competitive environment.

Thanks to All,

And sorry to disappoint that I'm not an actual cow. They won't let me donate blood in Oz because I lived in the UK and automatically suspect I may have mad cow disease so there still may be hope.

Well the tree is coming down, that much is arranged. Taking nifty's advise first then it sounds like when it does then I should take some photos and post them. Hopefully those that know will be able to advise me of the viability of milling. Bob, is there value in painting the logs to stop splitting or wait to paint the ends of the freshly milled lumber. (I've never seen a plastic house by the way but I'm sure Bunnings sell paint for them )

it's a lot easier to paint the log ends while it's still all together

Quote Originally Posted by cow View Post
    Thanks to All,

And sorry to disappoint that I'm not an actual cow. They won't let me donate blood in Oz because I lived in the UK and automatically suspect I may have mad cow disease so there still may be hope.
    Normally I donate platelets but recently I have been only able to donate plasma because I've had nicks and cuts from gardening or woodwork etc

Well the tree is coming down, that much is arranged. Taking nifty's advise first then it sounds like when it does then I should take some photos and post them. Hopefully those that know will be able to advise me of the viability of milling. Bob, is there value in painting the logs to stop splitting or wait to paint the ends of the freshly milled lumber. (I've never seen a plastic house by the way but I'm sure Bunnings sell paint for them )
    Paint the end of the log whole immediately, then paint any docked ends after milling if required.

RE: Plastic houses, They're the ones leap out and get in the way of your moving vehicle.

You guys are just hilarious!!!!!

Paint the ends as soon as you have taken the pics for nifty then BobL or comgreserv can mill it when they have time.

Still think you guys are funny...lol
    I am told that sharpening handsaws is a dying art.... this must mean I am an artisan.

Get your handsaws sharpened properly to the highest possible standard, the only way they should be done, BY HAND, BY ME!!! I only accept perfection in any saw I sharpen.

There's a canadian miller who uses a different colour paint every time he mills a log and keeps a record of the colour and date . That way he can track any piece of wood with that colour paint on it.

bobl,i'm not far off that.when i'm cutting for clients i ask them to paint the ends and some of the colors they come up with is great,and it helps identify the owner because they generally remember the colour paint they used.but it also helpful to write and tag thier details on the log as well

You can also contact Lucas directly on 1800 LUCAS1 if no-one on here can help ya out in the timeframe you need, they'll give you contact details of lucas owners in your area.

Biggest thing from my point of view when looking at a job via email or other is actual sizes of the log (not a guess, but tape measure - good one Bob) and a pic of both ends of the log, so I can assess how 'good' the log is, so yep as said best to take pic before paint is applied. From those things I can give a customer a pretty good idea of what can be gained from the log and how much I'd charge for the job.

Good luck and remember to post us some pics
    I love my Lucas!! ...just ask me!
    Allan.