Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Hello from Brisbane

hello, what an extremely interesting site....
    i joined yesterday because i am going to restore 2 old wardrobes i recently bought.
    1 is very old and is the dark colour with carvings on the side panels and a mirror in the centre, hanging space and 3 drawers below.
    the second wardrobe is the same design with 1 drawer at the bottom, but i think it is not so old.
    the included pictures are the eBay ones
    i would like to find out the finish on both of them, although after reading here, i think it is shellac...
    there has been a lot of wear and tear on them especially the dark robe, it belonged the a child in the family i bought it from. the other one belonged to an adult.
    i missed getting the matching pairs.
    the drawers and the tracks in both of them have a lot of ruts in them from usage.
    one of the side panels on the dark one was falling away from the main body of the robe, i used PVA and nails on that, (before i read here to use Hide Glue)
    in the bottom drawer section of the dark one, there is a long split in the wood running downwards on both ends (sides). i am not sure what to do about that, if i should fix it or leave it. i will have to see how much the splits impact on the actual wardrobe.
    also i found that the door on the light wardrobe was coming away at one of its hinges, I put a bit of toothpick into the screw hole and it is sturdy now. i read about that trick here last night, thank you.
    the front of the door panel on the light one seems to have a paleness to it. i think it is what you all call 'blushed'. i will do a light sand on it to see what is under the surface.
    it looks like the panel has been reproduced but maybe not. the wood seems to match the outside panels. it all has a lot of spotted blotchy patches on it also

i am interested to find out when both of them were made.
    i think the dark one is about 80 or 90 years old, and i am not sure about the light one.

basically what i would like to do is clean them, tidy them, put shelves in one of them, make the light one into a dark colour and use them to replace my own wardrobes which are not very nice (although extremely functional)
    i might have paid more for them than they are worth, but i will get a lot of use and joy out of them so that is not an issue.

not much else to say, except that i love woodwork, i have lots of mismatched wood bits and pieces of furniture, and this is my first beautiful carved, old wardrobes like this.

cheers.
    Lyn.

Welcome to the forum. I see you have an interesting task ahead of you.

Thumbs up

G'day Tatiana and welcome to wonderworld!!

A very nteresting project you have in front of you, so good luck with it.

It looks to me as though the dariker 'robe once had a central mirror also, and possibly bevelled.

Interesting project, welcome aboard
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

thanks for the warm welcomes everyone.
    i'll be back later.....

artme, hello,
    there is still a mirror in the dark robe, it is rectangle and in very good condition, no bevel.
    it might not show up too well because of the camera.

the mirror in the light robe is scratched and has a bit odf siver sowing through, but it is bevelled

Welcome Lynn
    What side of town are you from I am in Strathpine On the north side.

Quote Originally Posted by nosnow View Post
    Welcome Lynn
    What side of town are you from I am in Strathpine On the north side.
    hi nosnow
    Mt. Gravatt, south side

Hi
    More Rain just what we need
    You are on the wrong side of town ,however if you need any help this forum is th place to ask
    Cheers Rod

Quote Originally Posted by tatiana View Post
    artme, hello,
    there is still a mirror in the dark robe, it is rectangle and in very good condition, no bevel.
    it might not show up too well because of the camera.
    Must admit I thought there was a mirror in the dark robe too until artme put the seed in my mind. Arthur you really will have to get those new glasses soon.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

i am just wondering, at what point do i cross over to the restoration thread?
    and where would i post about a computer desk that i built myself (out of thick plywood) and that i use everyday.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by tatiana View Post
    i am just wondering, at what point do i cross over to the restoration thread?
    and where would i post about a computer desk that i built myself (out of thick plywood) and that i use everyday.

Now is a pretty good time!