Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Great Advice

Hi there.

Just found this thread by searching on 'painting melamine'. Thanks Fantapantz for the fantastic suggestion, ESP by Flood was fantastic for my project.

I wanted to repaint a set of black melamine drawers destined for baby to be's nursery, and was not keen at all on sanding - being 7 months pregnant I can't really be bothered, which means I would only do half the job.

ESP was easy as pie, and the enamel I used for the repaint only required 2 coats before it looked lovely. I bought the small bottle and have oodles left, am now looking around the house thinking of other things I can transform. Also did a ceramic lamp which was also black which looks great too.

Thanks again for such a great suggestion, it has been a very economical update for a previously unsightly piece of furniture.

Brooke
    One very happy lady

Just a quick word of caution, read the labels on ESP. I am pretty sure that it's safe etc, etc, but most of those things will not be the best for pregnant ladies. I have a tub of it at home and I remember it having a very strong odour. Not sure if it's harmful, but excellent ventilation would be recommended.

Cheers

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Fantapantz
    The guy at Dulux put us onto ESP "Easy Surface Prep" by Flood. Available at Dulux or Bunnies (a bit cheaper).

http://www.floodaustralia.net/brochures/5216esp.pdf

The label says "No more Sanding" Firmly bonds to any surface...even glass. Wipe it on! Wipe it off! paint after 90 minutes". Just paint on enamel paint after the ESP dries.

I tried ESP on some internal doors instead of sanding the old paint. The new gloss paint now peels at the slightest provocation. Needless to say I will never use ESP again. A painter I know swears by penetrol, but I haven't used it.
    Incidentally also from the Flood Co is Spa-n-deck, which I used a while ago to redo my deck. It is a FANTASTIC product.