Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Stustoys View Post
    Well I've done a rough drawing and I'm pretty happy it can be built. But! as is, it has over 7m of hinge and would fold from 580mm deep to something less than 150mm.
    I'd make the sides of the box fold in and the sides of the funnel fold out, so sand running down the wall falls into the funnel.
    If anyone is interested in building one I could do a more detailed pattern.
    Stuart

That's it!, I was going to make my own sealed hinges from rubber strips clamped by metal strips and pop rivets to get an airtight seal.

Edit, that top middle drawing has a vertical line between the funnel and the box which is going to open up a wedge shaped gap when folded but this can be worked around.

The three vertical hinges on the cabinet would need to be piano hinge(sealed with rubber) or at least a steel hinge at the top to carry the load.

If you fold the funnel "in" that line comes up into the cabinet. The line od the cabinet stays level.
    If you had a large enough piece of rubber you might be able to come up with a rubber gusset between the sides of the cabinet and the sides of the funnel and then it would all fold in.
    Stuart

Hmm this looking very practical, I'll have to get out the scissors and cardboard with sticky tape hinges. The grate could hinge down to give the unfolded open box shape rigidity and one side could be the entry doors.

lol I did some real cut and paste just to be sure that the funnel would move the way I thought it would.
    Yeah the grate is pretty much what stops it folding back up, that and a double lip around the top that slips over the sides.
    Not sure how you could make side doors work. The top should open up far enough.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by Graziano View Post
    It's going to be a neat bit of origami whatever the solution, I was thinking more along the lines of extra hinge seams along the middle of the left and right hand sides of the pyramid so that when flat the front triangle and rear triangle of the pyramid funnel have half sized triangles formed by the side triangles folded in half outwards from the front/rear triangles. There would be gaps between the box LH and RH sides and the pyramid LH and RH sides when flat that could have overlap strips to close any gaps when opened.

Does that make sense?

Like this one half way down the page?

Sandblaster & Sand blast units - Procureit Australia

Anybody know if you can get ceramic tips made? I'm thinking on how to reduce the CFM needed to run a gun. I'm guessing it will require more than just reducing the nozzle size on the gun.......

Sterob

Dave J Guest

I just make up steel nozzles by the half dozen when they wear out.
    I am not sure if you could use less airflow, you would see them selling as "The new low pressure sand blaster" lol
    You have a mill and a lathe, maybe time to experiment with making some guns and nozzles.
    I would think a smaller nozzle would need a larger grit nozzle/hole.

Dave

I know a guy who makes nozzles out of silver steel and hardens them glass hard with no tempering and finds it better value than tungsten carbide nozzles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    I just make up steel nozzles by the half dozen when they wear out.
    I am not sure if you could use less airflow, you would see them selling as "The new low pressure sand blaster" lol
    You have a mill and a lathe, maybe time to experiment with making some guns and nozzles.
    I would think a smaller nozzle would need a larger grit nozzle/hole.

Dave

Yeah, that may be all I need to do. Something to think about when I get cranked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Graziano View Post
    I know a guy who makes nozzles out of silver steel and hardens them glass hard with no tempering and finds it better value than tungsten carbide nozzles.
    That sounds interesting. I might try that too. I might harrass you for more info later on, if you don't mind?......
    Sterob

Quote Originally Posted by Sterob View Post
    That sounds interesting. I might try that too. I might harrass you for more info later on, if you don't mind?......
    Sterob
    As far as I know they are just heated dull red and water quenched with no temper afterwards.

I still haven't heard 'yay' or 'nay' regarding the sandblaster yet. Everyone is shrugging when asked about the cabinet...lol Maybe tomorrow......
    I have found a nice looking gun and foot switch from the US but haven't committed to it yet. They are the same as H&F supply with SB-420 ( $1200 I think)

I got the nod today so the cabinet is mine for the taking. I managed to find the gloves that were removed from it so I just grabbed the clamps. The gloves are too stiff so I will just source some softer ones, I hope....Seen a heap on US Ebay. ( a gun and foot switch as well)
    It will take me a while to get it all sorted, but it shouldn't cost me alot. ( I hope again.....)
    Have to find a spot for it and pick it up on the weekend. Work is 20 km away so it will take a bit it time to go and get it.

Sterob

good score Sterob

Dave J Guest

You cant get any cheaper than free.

Dave