Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Newbie in UTFG, Melbourne Australia.

Hi all,

I have been interested in the game of Go for a long time, particularly the Japanese variety where there is a focus on lovely equipment for this oldest of board games.

The main part of the game is the Goban, or Go Board. I have a beautiful 480x450x80 solid swamp-kauri board at home, but the reason for me joining this forum is to find out how to make some simple MDF boards so I can teach classes of kids this fantastic game.

Can anybody tell me how I can get access to a bench saw to cut a large sheet of 6mm MDF into 30 rectangles? Each board needs to be 305mm x 329mm.

I have no woodworking tools and since it is a one-off job, I was hoping their were workshops in Melbourne's Eastern suburbs, or maybe a kind bloke who could cut them up for me. That said, I have not been about to find either (including an hour searching these forums) and so I am here humbly asking for some advice.

Thankyou in advance for any wisdom you can offer.

Stu French

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find something in Melbourne to get you started. Like a Mens Shed.

HI there! I am a member of the Ferntree gully Woodworkers. I know that they have a panel saw. And also rip saw and just about every other type of saw. So possible someone there could help you. I only go there on Mondays for woodturning group, and Friday mornings for the traditional woodwork group. I'm sure someone there could help. Also the yearly membrship is not very much, so you could join, then have access to the tools you need. The hand tools they have aren't that great (Although servicable. , but the power tools are pretty good.

Knox and District Woodworkers Club Inc (KDWC)

Oh yes! And welcpome to the forum.
    Last edited by tea lady; 13th November 2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: added welcome
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.