Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cabinet Making/ Carpentry - My Career Path

I'm currently a 1st year apprentice carpenter undertaking what I feel to be a Cabinet Making job working with Kitchens and Laundries etc however I have just found out that i'm doing Carpentry at TAFE. Now I feel this may be a bit of a bad thing for me in the sense that after my apprenticeship i'll be a fully qualified carpenter however all my work experience is doing cabinet making work. Note - Carpentry has ALWAYS been the number one thing i've wanted to do so I was extremely happy when i found this out.

I wanted to get some of your opinions on what i should do career wise, basically I want to get into the housing industry as an apprentice caprenter that way what i'll be learning at TAFE will be relevant to what im doing at work. But i wanted to get your opinions on this and maybe some possible 'advantages' i may have in doing pretty much both trades..

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

i would stick it out for 1 full year at current job then apply for jobs as a 2nd carpenter if you get a smaller guy doing all work from framing to fixout and finshing you will have "joinery" skills that a boss will like.

also coming from the factory side you have been trained to measure in mm's not like framing carpenters who are +/- 10mm

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a pretty good suggestion gaza, thank you heaps for your input!