Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

what about calibration of it? if the scale is left till last and you have some sort of "tests" so you can find so many foot pounds or what ever the measurement is and mark it with a witness mark then engrave it with a pencil grinder that way you can be more assured the finished work is accurate
    happy turning

Patrick

WoW! Great stuff guys,
    I love the idea of laser etching as it is one I had not previously considered.
    It is an attractive idea as we have only the one mill and it will be tied up fairly heavily already.

There is a lazer crowd in town and you can betcha boots that I will be chasing them up.

The thinking is to batch mill the components to there is the quickest turnaround hopefully avoiding students choosing components at random.Rather than a never ending exchange of mill tooling we shall set the gear up and the kids can rotate with the component through it

As far as calibration goes I intend to calibrate the units against a known unit which one of the shops can check for me.
    The idea being, that I can check the fabricated completed units against a calibrated proven unit.

Shops who couldn't avoid calibration of every wrench used to check the others against the proven master unit.This was described to me a an old workshop manager ,so I know it should work.
    I have good contacts with the shops in town particularly with one in the flavour of big yellow earthmoving machinery.

The whole project will serve as an great vehicle for the other competencies which the kids don't like so much.
    Here I am talking about Computation (shop maths) planning a task , quality control /quality assurance ,teamwork.

If they want a good unit they must put the work into the other competencies as I have told them they will be the senior students in the shop and no one is going to hold they hands or wipe their nose.

Cheers
    Grahame

Dave J Guest

If your after measurements of a commercial one I can measure the one I have here.,
    I picked it up a couple of weeks ago at the market for $2, so my son leaves my good sidcrome one alone. LOL

Dave