Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flamed Maple

I guess ill just sand it to 400 and then try a sealer on it then go to poly. Ive never used shellac before so I dont have any on hand. I may look at getting some but i dont think i can get it local so maybe anutha time. Any particular brand or type i should look out for?

Try this mob . . .
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

Pat's Link has a white shellac which sounds good ,or possibly the hard shellac,
    but if you haven't used shellac before you probably should practice on bigger test
    bit's that are not important at first. If you learn how to use it and how to colour in
    between coats any one of those pics in beauty of the burst could be a possibility
    on another build.

And if your sticking with the poly then I would think that after the poly is put on
    you will cut back with finer grades of paper untill you can buff it up, same as
    painting a car,without cutting through your last coat , and then finish off with a wax.
    I have done it that way before with paint but not poly .Great looking guitar, cheers Rob

Yea i think ill stick wit the poly for now. But im definately gonna grab some shellac and give it ago. Is the ready made stuff better or the flakes? I saw a pack of flakes in bunnings the other week. Might give them a go just to try it out.

I just got stewmacs guitar finishing book in the mail along wit some colortone stains..Im off to read now lol

flakes , mix your self and know your strength, thing is though its not probably bleached, and throws the colour, its great if your polishing something like mahogany or red cedar it gives the red a boost but if you want to keep to a pale colour then bleached is what I would use sometimes with a little flake mixed in to make it stronger . I haven't used the ubeaut stuff yet but I will , I work with a guy that used it and he was raving about the hard stuff I think it was.

Wallnut is offline He who turns good wood into saw dust

Hi floody,
    Thought of using Mirotone PC Lacquer. they have a spray on sealer which does not change the clour then follow with few gloss. I have used this extensively on Nth Queensland maple which is often 'quilted'.
    just a thought

Hey wallnut,
    Ive looked into mirotone but its prob a bit pricey.The polyurethane section at my work uses their stuff for kitchens so i may be able to order through them in the future.