Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need advice

Quote Originally Posted by Blue-deviled View Post
    Have you tried planing directly across the boards (this is what we have to do with the very fiddle-backed violin backs)? Also, give dampening it a go with a misting squirter bottle.

cheers,
    B-D.
    I have tried every way. due to the fact that the grain has no real distinct direction (goes all different ways actually) I ended up going a number of directions depending on what worked, when I found the best (least torn result for each part of the board) I planed till level made my chainsaw bar scraper and worked it as good as I could get it. I will have to do a fair bit of sanding but it will be worth it in the end.

I am not necessarily after perfectly flat surfaces but I do want the grain to pump and shine like it should and think I am on the right track. next step is to build myself a good plane. I got the block I am going to build it with already picked out it is a bit of redgum milled about 150+ years ago, heavily fiddled, well dimensioned, And the blade will come from my stock of quality tool steels, will be my own take on the HNT planes with some intricacies of my own worked into it.

Thanks all for your responses. Travis
    I am told that sharpening handsaws is a dying art.... this must mean I am an artisan.

Get your handsaws sharpened properly to the highest possible standard, the only way they should be done, BY HAND, BY ME!!! I only accept perfection in any saw I sharpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Edwards View Post
    I have tried every way. due to the fact that the grain has no real distinct direction (goes all different ways actually) I ended up going a number of directions depending on what worked, when I found the best (least torn result for each part of the board) I planed till level made my chainsaw bar scraper and worked it as good as I could get it. I will have to do a fair bit of sanding but it will be worth it in the end.

I am not necessarily after perfectly flat surfaces but I do want the grain to pump and shine like it should and think I am on the right track. next step is to build myself a good plane. I got the block I am going to build it with already picked out it is a bit of redgum milled about 150+ years ago, heavily fiddled, well dimensioned, And the blade will come from my stock of quality tool steels, will be my own take on the HNT planes with some intricacies of my own worked into it.

Thanks all for your responses. Travis
    Good to hear! I forgot to mention a toothed iron for your plane too.

cheers,
    B-D

Hi Travis,

Here is a link to the carbatec plane page for your perusal.
    Handplanes : CARBA-TEC

As Glenlara said, it's in Springvale.
    Molly.
    "There is always a way if you are willing to pay the price in time, energy or effort."
    Robert Schuller.

When you have gone as far as you can go and achieved the best finish you can achieve with the hand plane then its time to get out the trusty hand cabinet scraper. If you do not know how to use a cabinet scraper if you check back through past links you should come across instructions.
    Be warned you will end up with a few blisters either on your thumbs and or the palm of your hand. When the blade heats up due to friction it is time to turn the scraper to the opposite edge.
    With the aid of a scraper you should be able to remove all the tears but remember to scrape the total area equal so you have no hollows.
    Cheers
    Mac
    Last edited by Malcolm Eaton; 10th September 2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Edwards View Post
    .....next step is to build myself a good plane. I got the block I am going to build it with already picked out it is a bit of redgum milled about 150+ years ago, heavily fiddled, well dimensioned, And the blade will come from my stock of quality tool steels, will be my own take on the HNT planes with some intricacies of my own worked into it......

Travis
    I bought an A55 HNT smoother and hence I have a 'retired' HNT smoother that committed no crime other than being replaced by a younger, more attractive, sibling. It was my first HNT and hence I want to keep it but I am happy to lend it to you if you want to try it before making your own. It is complete with blade etc and the deal is I send it to you blunt and you return it sharp .
    PM if you are interested,
    fletty