Default Broadband problem

I work from home and have 2 offices aprox 15' apart. Desktop pc in one with hard wired router.
    Laptop in the other with wireless card.
    Every now and then the connection to the internet is lost on the laptop, never on the desktop.
    In the main office with the wired configuration I use a DECT phone and a corless mouse.
    Qusetion for the techiebuffs....Does DECT or wirless mouse interfere with the router signal and if so, why only now and again.
    Both pcs are working perfectly and the router and card have been changed twice so it cant be them.
    Any suggestions?
    beejay1

Quote Originally Posted by beejay1
    and a corless mouse.
    That'd be a non Cockney mouse I take it?

Sorry, couldn't resist

ickhea .

I havent got to grips with spellcheck yet on this thing in fact this is first time with icons.
    beejay1

No, I don't think they sell mice at Ikea

This might be a good place to start looking.
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=82

DECT can interfere with a wireless network - my Belkin gear has warnings in the manuals that DECT phones on the 2.4GHz frequency can cause problems.
    (I think 2.4GHz is a bit of a free-for-all). Some DECT phones are 5.8GHz, so you could check which frequency your DECT phone is.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Re-boot your router modem at least once a day.

Cheers
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}

I also work from home and run a network of three computers, one of which is running an ADSL broadband router.

My wife has her own desktop computer in another room of the house, for this we run a wireless system.

We were getting occassional dropouts which didn't make sense. Eventually we did a ping test from wireless computer to the hard wired system. this showed up some transmitting problems.

Apparently the wireless doesn't transmit through water very well. As humans are something like 70% water (I was told) we make an effective door for the wireless communication.

We were able to test this as being accurate coz when one of us walked past the transmitter, or stood in front of it, the signal dropped off or increased in length of delay before it came back. We are talking from 1 or 2 milliseconds (ms) here to something like 30 or so ms. At which stage the signal drops out for a period of maybe 3 - 4 seconds. This of course if, you are downloading or actively using the connection, makes life interesting, to say the least.

The upshot is that we recognise the problem and work (walk) around it.

On the other hand the router/wireless combination does drop off and we find that by disconnecting the wireless power supply and then reconnecting about 15 seconds later restores the signal, most times. We also find that every now and again we have to re-boot the ADSL router by turning it off, waiting 15 seconds, then switching it back on.

This apparently forces the router to re-connect on another line to our ISP and often means a vastley better connection for the next day or so.

Life with ADSl is great, but sometimes a bit tedious although quite liveable.

Mick.

Apparently the wireless doesn't transmit through water very well. As humans are something like 70% water (I was told) we make an effective door for the wireless communication.
    Thanks all. I cant change the dect signal but i will try the router reboot and see if that improves things.
    I'd have thought that the majority of this forum was 70% XXXX. not water.
    beejay1

Quote Originally Posted by beejay1
    I'd have thought that the majority of this forum was 70% XXXX. not water.
    beejay1
    Spit, spit.
    Ooowhh no never, that stuff is made for the paletes of them Northeners.
    Im going to have to wash my tongue just for thinking about it. :eek:

Al