In November 209 we had a new ironbark floor laid on masonite(I think). The finish was a low sheen I think it was water based. It looked soft not hard like a polyurethane. Some small holes had been puttied up but the colour match was poor so we asked the builder to fix it. We expected to have the same look when we returned home. We were told to leave the house for a few days.

When we came back we find the floor has a very high sheen which scratches easily. The floor man didn't do inside the pantry so we can compare it to the origianl finish. it is completely different. Now super glossy, before, not glossy..

The builder has told us that it is a water based finish and that it is so glossy because it is a 3rd coat after a light sand when the putty colour match was fixed.

We are not convinced. We have noticed that the floor is now cupping dramatically. The builder has said that grey iron bark always cups.

I think we need to test the recent finsh to see what it is. Please can someone tell me how is that done and who does it?

with thanks