Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

lol

"Top inner shaft is for fwd/rev of the carriage; selectable on the fly at lower speeds."
    Oh I so want that. I wonder if I have room for some synchro rings.

"The dial is geared to the leadscrew and pivots in to engage."
    Why?

Yeah I have one of those extendable nozzles, I had thought about some of the lathes you see that squirt coolant out like they where trying to set a record. Maybe lots slowly wont make as much mess anyway?

Have the neighbours worked out why their lights dim yet?

Stuart

That is a genuine tool room lathe...

Dave J Guest

Glad to see you got the pictures working Ken.
    That's a nice lathe you have there.

Dave

Thats a beast of a lathe (in a good way)! Do I also spy a mill or two that we should see in the 'Post your mills' thread.....

Stu,

To elaborate a bit;

The rotary dial on the right side of the left leg is the gear selector. It connects via shaft and uni's to the spindle gearbox in the left leg.

The thread chasing dial on the left of the carriage pivots in and out . The main leadscrew is stationary unless threading; and I figure that with the chasing dial gear running up and down the stationary thread; it would cause a wear patch; affecting the accuracy of the leadscrew.

Closest neighbour is 400 metres away and is a maintenance fitter by trade. He had to repair his irrigation pump and was disappointed when he had to use the small lathe because I hadn't sorted out the power supply on the TOS. There is only a slight flicker on the shed lights on machine startup. Was a different matter with the chattering contactors. Used to stir up the TV and Mrs in the house 90 metres away. We are the only property using the SEC transformer.

RC
    Not quite if you believe the purists. Swing of 380mm and bed width 340mm. I think they claim that bed must be same or wider than swing.
    Suits me just fine though.

Thanks Dave. I nearly bought a 12x40 chinese lathe.
    It would have cost $25000 to get a comparable speced new chinese one. That wasn't going to happen.

Ken

very nice
    One of the dials I am talking about I arrowed in the picture.
    I see you have auto stop on the carriage, but I think you have it on the crossfeed as well??

Stuart

Stu,

Yes auto stops on both longitude and cross feeds. Not to used for threading though.
    Arrow points to compound feed dial. It is raised and gear driven to main shaft so that you whack your knuckles.

Nice!!
    Thank you Toggy
    Stuart