Can you attach a garage to an external brick wall then clad gyproc striaght over the top and expect it to last.... If you respond to this ...YOU ARE SENT FROM HEAVEN
Hi. My name is Sharon and I have an ongoing project!!!! , still going after nearly fifteen years??? Yep.. I am soooo over it!
... RENOVATIONS grrrrrrrr.. ...... Here is the story..
Sydney man ..36 yr old hubbie, we'll call him Bluey - wants to
clad fibro home in single skin Brick.
change the house front completely by adding a verandah,thus changing roof line,
extend out the back creating - family room, dining room, laundry,
finally a garage thats attached to house single width 2.8m wide x 13m long garage Bluey says" NOT THAT MUCH SHARON" !
Council approves all the crappy plans. Plans without any specs??No real measurements? just an engineers report, for concrete slabs ,both the garage and back extension... Hubbie demolishes the back of house, digs and lays strip footings along the house, and down where the garage was intended to sit . All the footings went in ...Hubbie dies of heart attack.... . suffering... the house was left open to the elements.. The bricks ordered need to be delivered..grrrr...Brickie arrives tells me " you need to start at your LOWEST point - not out the back where the extension and garage are to be"! grrrrr
The bricks are now are now in place, I built the back extension. I built the verandah.
I never built the garage..
NOW I want to build it, but so it' can be used as a granny flat.
If the garage is placed along one side of my house and is attached . ie skillion roof
House is 20 metres long garage starts 13.5 back from building line one wall is attached at this point and then extends beyond back of house a further 6.5m as per plans.The chippy doing the job wants to attach gyproc directly to external wall of house?? Won't l the internal wall fail because of moisture. Bricks aren't waterproof.
SO can you attach a garage to an external brick wall then clad gyproc over the top without battens or such and expect it to last?
Just to add a little more to the mix ,,,, the brick walls .....not straight........... HELP
THANKS for caring and sharing.....Oh and after reading,the above
I've changed my name to Ripley.. believe it or not

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...