Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default New cedar bifold doors - which oil?

Hi all - just installed a brand new set unfinished Red Cedar [Meliaceae I believe meaning it's a species of mahogany?] bifold doors and after reading through the forums it seems best to brush on Teak oil as it's easy to maintain and protects the wood, just apply once a year after washing the timber.

I'm located in Qld and the doors will get plenty of severe sun - has anyone had experience using Teak oil with these type of timber doors and if so which brand would you suggest?

Cheers

I wouln't use an oil only because of maintenace , I use intergrain ultra clear ,UV resistant and water based dries quick and can be tinted in a number of shades , good luck
    regards Chowcini

Default go forth and oil

<o> Hmm - ok thanks - I went through all the forums before posting and oil seems the best all round solution.
    </o>
    As senior member Conwood wrote below when all is taken into account - go forth and oil.

With finishing tech advances over the last few years has this changed?
    <o></o>
    <o>................................................................................................................
    </o>
    I have been down this path may times. Externally I only use Sikkens products now, although recently I have used indoor Integrain products and am happy with them. I have no info on their external products.

Oil is my preference, because of the maintenance. I just don't like removing peeling and cracked finishes, as opposes to a light clean/rub for recoating oil finsishes.

As for Cabots and Feast Watson, some of their indoor products are ok. Extrnally I have found them inadequate.

Cheers,
    conwood<o></o>

<o></o>
    ………………………………………………………………………………….<o></o>
    Thanks Conwood. Will oil protect the timber outdoors?<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <o></o>
    ……………………………………………………………………………………<o></o>
    <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" oreferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <vath o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="Reply With Quote" href="https://www.woodworkforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=419314" style='52.5pt;19.5pt' o:button="t"> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Barry\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/button2/quote.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->
    Yes it will, but as others have also mentioned, you may have to re-apply every few years. Cos I'm slack, I recently re-oiled some external louvres I made after 10 years. Yes they were dry and after a quick clean and more oil they came up great.

As bennylaird said, it's the lazy persons finish.

Go forth and oil.

Cheers,
    Conwood<o></o>

Hi M71,
    Oil will protect timber outdoors, as will other products. The conundrum here is a common one. It's a question of maintenance and frequency.
    As Chowcini said, Intergrain is a good choice, and has received favourable comments by other forumites.

I choose oils because I always do my own maintenance, which in the case of oils is a bit more frequent. You may have noticed recently in Brisbane all these nice new slat fences being put up which look ok for a short while and then look crappy quite quickly.

Either way it's a difficult choice and you need to factor your ability and who will maintain in the future. As you said, technology advances and products improve. The one constant is, the sun will get to everything in time.

cheers
    conwood