Thread: Kindle

Default Kindle

SWMBO birthday is not far away and while I was dropping a few hints around the other day, she mentioned a kindle. I know Amazon sells them, but was wondering if anyone here has one, knows anything about them and are they worth coin that they are being sold for.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

As far as I am aware it is not possible to download books to Australia for a Kindle.

Also, I suspect that the iPad is going to take over anyway.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

I agree. I would go for an iPad. It has a Kindle reader available for it in any case.

Well looky here ..Amazon.com: Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" Display, Global Wireless, Latest Generation): Kindle Store
    now available world wide
    so now you have choices
    Pete
    What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
    Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)

My father in law has one...and absolutely loves it. I think he's had it for about a year and no problems yet. If I read as much as my FIL does I would have one...far better than Ipad for this purpose.
    It's nice to be me.
    I'm the only one.

Give her a bunch of fire kindling first

Oh yeh, and as much as I despise Apple and the hype, an iPad is probably more versatile. Dunno about price comparison and budget constraints tho. Just my two bob anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegum View Post
    SWMBO birthday is not far away and while I was dropping a few hints around the other day, she mentioned a kindle. I know Amazon sells them, but was wondering if anyone here has one, knows anything about them and are they worth coin that they are being sold for.
    can't help with pros and cons or if they are worth it, but the apple iPad would have to be considered -- it has a book reading application plus with its colour screen it makes a pretty good photo album.

With all these devices, the real issue is obtaining the ebooks -- if yu have to buy in Australia, or down load wirelesly via a phone company -- is it worth it?
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

My sister has one and loves it. Books are cheap, can be backed up, works in any light, holds the page, and it holds its charge for long flights etc. The price will probably plummet as the iPad takes market share...
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

SWMBO loves hers, smaller and lighter than an iPad, downloads wirelessly from anywhere, saves me a fortune on magazines as she keeps it in her bag to read while having a coffee etc.
    Cheers
    Graeme

rrich Guest

My DIL has a kindle and she loves it.

My impression is that it presents a book in a rather unique and easy to read format. HOWEVER there is something about the font of the real thing that makes reading a pleasure.I mean, that at some point you want to get away from a monitor screen, don't you?

Just remember, when you buy a Kindle, you are not really buying books for it - it's more like you are renting them for an unspecified period (see what happened here).

Book pricing....seems to be the same as paperback.

Wow.

Who would have thought that having something that doesn't require printing, stocking and shipping would be the same cost as the physical version? Must be very efficient print logistics in the book business!

Personally, I'd like to see 25-35% off because you are not buying it from a bricks and mortar store, and another 25-35% off as it does not have the same production overheads as the physical copy.

Add to that the fact that you have also lost the second-hand value of the item (because you can't on-sell it - typically 25% of the new price), and I'll just continue the approach that I've had for a few years now:
    1) See new book by 'must have' author.
    2) Enquire if said book is available in regular paperback size, not that stupid jumbo size that new releases come out in. Get told that it will be in regular paperback size in about a year. Complain that I'm not paying $10 extra for a book that is too big to comfortably hold, and leave the store.
    3) Download scanned and ocr'd copy from darker corners of teh intarwebs.
    4) Read on laptop.
    5) Eventually purchase secondhand/remaindered version in 2-3 years time.

Quote Originally Posted by RedShirtGuy View Post
    Give her a bunch of fire kindling first

Oh yeh, and as much as I despise Apple and the hype, an iPad is probably more versatile. Dunno about price comparison and budget constraints tho. Just my two bob anyway
    Hahahha yep I can see where a bag of wood will get me. Thanks for the answers everyone its given me a lot more info than I had.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

The last I spoke to my FIL he was very happy with the price of books he'd bought (massive price difference)...that was a while ago so perhaps things have changed.
    It's nice to be me.
    I'm the only one.