Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Finally Getting My Feet Wet

G'day All,
    Been lurking in the shadows for some time now and finally decided to take the plunge.
    By day am a Professional Photographer and in my free time a wannabe sawdust maker and motorcycle rider, hence the moniker.
    My interest in woodworking, as opposed to carpentry, started just prior to the birth of 1st son some 21 years ago. After unsatisfactorily searching high and low for a wooden cot to put our heir in, I announced to SWMBO that I felt that I could make one with a modest outlay on tools. I convinced her that the "Orange" brand was the way to go and it would also enable me to do all manner of things for her around the house.
    Little did she know that I'd be spending more time and money on buying accessories than working on projects.
    Distractions like children also ate into precious woodworking time, like they do for so many of us and I soon found that the "Orange" beast was only pulled out on occasions that required its use.
    I must confess that it has served me well, but as the projects I wanted to undertake became more demanding of machine accuracy, I began to look at other options.
    And so I eventually I found my way here!
    Being one that researches to the enth degree I trolled all sorts of online resources but seemed to keep coming back here.
    These forums I have found to be some of the best on the web.
    The discussions are largely unpretentious, friendly, helpful and informative.
    I am also surprised at the diversity of background, experience and geographical location of forumites and the distinct lack of hostility.
    When dabbling in HiFi speaker building at one stage and being a motorcyclist I found that some of those associated forums could be downright dangerous to participate in, hence my reluctance to come out of the shadows in this one.
    That aside, I hope this will not be my last contribution.
    In fact I have just seen a question posted in the "Photography" forum that I may be able to help with.
    Hope to meet with more of you in the coming years.

Road King
    aka Macka

Thumbs up

G'day Macka and welcome to the shed!!

An interesting potted history you you've given. I think the only danger here will be that of addictions, and all of 'em are good.

hey Macca, welcome.

Yeah, its a good forum... lots of members to learn from, good conversations, generally well behaved (generally! )

Hope to see you around, and I might be getting your help in the Photography forum.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

Welcome to the forum. Just ask and I am sure that you will get an answer.

The best thing about forums is that people have opinions and how can someone opinion be wrong. (Got that from a friend)

Welcome to the forum
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John