Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default New Guy, Retired Sparkie

G'day from Brisbane, I retired from sparkie world in 04 bought a caravan went up north in 05 went around Australia 06 did Tassie 08 and all points in between.

I play the fiddle ( not very well ) I'm a member of a couple of fillde groups around Brisbane, it's fun.

I saw a Bob McNally ' Strumstick' on youtube and decided to have a go at making one.

My woodworking tools consisted a hammer some wood chisels ( sparkies use wood chisels to knock cement out from between bricks and other such jobs ) a hacksaw and a few other odds and sods.

The finshed product is as rough as guts, but my daughter loves in and is a dab hand at playing it.

I have since bought a Triton mk3 from the Weekend Shopper, a router, a bandsaw from Hare and Forbes, 3 hand planes, a spokeshave, a jig saw electric planer, disc belt sander and a fret wire saw etc etc, I don't want to count the cost of all this.

My project at the moment is making a router table and have come to a bit of a standstill regards cutting the hole for the insert plate, all the blurb on the net just says to cut a hole for the plate and drop it in, but I think there might be a bit more to it than that.

Sorry for the long winded intro.

Cheer

Piddlefimp ( Bill )

Thumbs up

G'day Piddlefimp and welcome to the madness!!
    Another old sparkie with plenty of spark.!

Google the Gifkins Doovetail Jig and see how to make a simple and effective router table.

Welcome Bill

can you post pictures of the design of router table you're building and the plate you need to fit
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Welcome to the forum. I have not made one myself but yes it is a little different then just cutting a hole and dropping in. Might have to be recess in the hole. Basically lipped so the plate does not fall through.

Thanks for the welcome and responding to the thread.

The plate is a Carbatec bakelite $45 insert kit. My router came with a template guide/bush and a half inch bit, I did a test cut on some scrap mdf and have ended up wiht a 2mm space from the cut to the straight edge, I have made a jig around the insert plate with a 4mm space so when I go around with the router I should end up with a neat fit, thats the plan.

I'll do a test cut before I get too excited.

I'm using a sheet of melamine 600mm x 450mm x 16 and some mdf the same size to give a bit of strength. I will make 2 legs and clamp the other side to the Triton table just to see how it works.

I need to learn how to post photos.

Cheers

Bill

Welcome to the forum. good to have you aboard
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John