Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Hello from Adelaide

Just wanted to say hello

I am new to the whole woodworking thing and hope to meet others around on the forum and in the area to learn from.

I have alot of things that I want to build but I am in no hurry because I want to do them the correct way the first time.

I will have to have a steep learning curve but that's ok because I enjoy working with lumber and learning.

I am considering buying a table saw in the near future and wanted to no what is a good quality table saw for $3-500?

I will be mainly ripping full sheets of 1200x2400 plywood for now. I will probably have to make a panel jig which is fine. And I will need to make angled cuts also. Other than that those are the only things I am considering.

So if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks to everyone,

David

Thumbs up

G'day David and welcome to the cubby.

A "good" table saw for that figure will only be possible if you can manage to get one second hand, so have alook on ebay and look int the local newspapers.

For what I want what should my budget be?

I dont know much about prices so I was just guessing a figure.

Quote Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
    I am in no hurry because I want to do them the correct way the first time.

I am considering buying a table saw in the near future and wanted to no what is a good quality table saw for $3-500?David
    If you "do it correct the first time" you will be one of a kind Daviid. I've been working with wood and making things for around 50 years on and off and I still don't get it right the first time, well not always.

Not sure if I read your pricing for the TS. If you meant $3500.00 Then you will get a decent one for sure, if you meant between $300 and $500 then you will not get much in the way of a new machine but may pick up a fairly reasonable one second hand.

Welcome to the forum
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Hi David, welcome.

A table saw is a fairly large and expensive machine to start with. You would be better off joining a woodworking club (look under woodgroup.sa) and using the club's machines until you have a better idea of what you want to do and how much you can afford.

Good luck

Frank

Thanks Frank,

I am somewhat new around these parts and I think a wood working club would be awesome.

My father always had lots of tools and I just remember what he paid for them in the USA. SO when I moved to Australia just 2 years ago, I am still getting used to seeing more expensive pricing.

I think after I have been using one more, possibly in a group, I would like to try and find one that is around $12-1700. I am sure router tables wont be included but I will try and find the most I can considering High Quality and value.

I have found a Western Adelaide woodworkers group that hopefully will be fun.

All the others were way to far away

Welcome to the forum. As mention getting things done right the first time is always going to be something to think about.

Measure 3x's cut once. I am not going for perfection here just something I can be proud of.
    Thats all my goals are and when it came to do things the correct way I was in reference to equipment.

I have bought so many things over the years because they were cheap and would get me by and in the end if I spent the extra money I would have saved myself money in the long run. .

here's the web site mate
    Woodgroup SA Home - wood work clubs in South Australia
    I to are in adelaide and as frank said these guys & girls are tops
    regards Michael
    enjoy life we are only here a short time not a long time

Quote Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
    I have found a Western Adelaide woodworkers group that hopefully will be fun.

All the others were way to far away
    Looking forward to meeting you this Saturday, then! At the moment we are meeting in a rather basic shed, but a better table saw is on its way. PM me if you need any info.

I will be there.

It will be hard to miss me, the gentleman with a black Kangol hat, but I look forward to meeting some new friends.