Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default RBTs for pedestrians

RANDOM breath testing of pedestrians would be the most effective way to stop them being killed and maimed on the roads, a study has found.
    The University of Adelaide study found the public could support a blood alcohol limit of 0.15 when near roads and vehicles.

Researchers studied ways of reducing the road toll and found that all were "limited" in their success except for enforcement of a blood alcohol level in people walking near traffic, The Advertiser reported.

Commissioned by the Motor Accident Commission, the research was published in this month's Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine.

The study's author, Paul Hutchinson, said the measure would be very controversial to implement but public opinion was already turning against displays of public drunkenness and a blood alcohol limit of 0.15 could be accepted.

"Public opinion does change over time and people don't like drunks rolling about the streets and 0.15 is an alcohol content that most people would not reach, certainly in public," he said.

"As one public health advocate put it, we have a blood alcohol limit for driving, why not for people walking next to traffic. People already have the power to take into protective custody drunk people who are a danger to their or others' safety."

Between 2003 and 2007, 53 of the 58 adult pedestrian deaths in South Australia involved people who had been drinking, and half of the 1560 given hospital treatment had also been drinking.

A spokesman for Motor Accident Commission said that "drunk walkers" were a serious problem that cost the organisation $50 million each year in claims.

The University of Adelaide study also proposed less effective changes, including:

- RESPONSIBILITY taken by licensed venues for death or injury to drunk patrons on the road.

- MASS media campaigns such as those used to discourage drink driving.

- BETTER public transport near pubs and clubs.

- BUS services operated by licensed venues.

- PEDESTRIAN safety roadworks where accidents often happen.
    what!!!!!!!!!!!

how the hell are you suposed to get home.

if you get booked will the cops carry you to the lockup?

this is the seond most stupid thing i have ever heard.

www.carlweiss.com.au
    Mobile Sawmilling & Logging Service
    8" & 10" Lucas Mills, bobcat, 4wd tractor, 12 ton dozer, stihl saws.

Just another reason to pop a couple of eccy pills and be good to go for a night

please don't read that as me advocating a drug culture but when you can pop a couple of pills for $20-40 then only need water for an entire night or drink booze for around $150 per night then the economics become pretty obvious
    It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it.

and you can walk home afterwards.

$150 would be a cheep night to

www.carlweiss.com.au
    Mobile Sawmilling & Logging Service
    8" & 10" Lucas Mills, bobcat, 4wd tractor, 12 ton dozer, stihl saws.

I_wanna_Shed is offline Now I've got a 10x14m shed! I need a new name...

When you drink drive the cops confiscate your car for 3 weeks. What will I do when they take my shoes for 3 weeks???

A classic, thanks!

"well officer I blew a thong walking back from the pub and thats why I drifted onto the road"
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

how the hell are you suposed to get home.
    back to driving home

For a number or years it used to be illegal to be drunk in a public place in NZ. Alcohol could only be consumed on licensed premises or on private property.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by corbs View Post
    Just another reason to pop a couple of eccy pills and be good to go for a night
    Hay corbs can you just pop down and see the coxswains on Monday for a drug test.
    David
    giveitagoturning @hotmail.com