Hi All,

I have received some great advice on this forum so far that has helped with our newly purchased 1950's brick veneer home. I searched some old threads and got a great recommendation for a reblocker (Martin) who came out to do a quote and was fantastic thankyou!

After re-blocking, we are looking at re-doing what is currently a very small (maybe 6m x 4m) area that was made as an add on to the back of the house. The add on consists of a laundry, toilet and pretty much just a room of open (wasted) space, like a little sunroom I guess. The add on was put on stumps like the rest of the house, but it is a step down i.e the floor is approx 3-4cm lower than the rest of the house, and the ceiling is also lower than the rest of the house. The external part is made in the same brick veneer finish, and the extension is an old flat roof, while the rest of the house is a pitched tiled roof.

We were hoping to raise this part of the house when getting it restumped, pitching the roof and raising the ceiling to match the rest of the house, and making the floors level with the rest of the house.

I had a carpenter come in who seemed to think it was all do-able and not a big job, he said he would get trusses built for the roof, and extend the tiling, and we would knock down the current internal walls in the extension area to rebuild at correct ceiling height.

Is there anything I should be looking out for? The chippy talked about knocking out the internal wall of the extension area which actaully used to be an external wall of the original house, so I'm getting a bit worried about consequences with load bearing walls etc. Am I worrying too much and should I just trust the carpeneter if he says he knows what he is doing, or should I be seeking some more detailed plans, engineering etc.

I guess the chippy is saying it's a pretty straight forward job, and I thought it sounded a whole lot more complex, but maybe that's just because I know absolutely nothing about carpentry and renovating???!!!!

any help or advice very much appreciated....thankyou!!

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...