Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Hughie, the diff btwn Catholic and Calvinist doctrine on what you have to do to achieve salvation and an afterlife is enormous.

Of a scale to explain the emergence of capitalism acc to one social theorist.
    Cheers, Ern

Damian,

this is probably better done offline but...

Ive just printed and reread the whole thread. I can not find where I have tried to stifle debate. Nor have I called anyone racist or made it personal. I have tried to add my perspective about the human cost which is my interest. Happy to be pilloried for what I think and say as long as its what I think and say. This issue is obviously too sensitive for open debate, time for a break, over and out.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Hughie, the diff btwn Catholic and Calvinist doctrine on what you have to do to achieve salvation and an afterlife is enormous.
    Your right Ern.But there is still respect for each view point or doctrine and with that certain amount of harmony.I did say by and large as they both accept the Trinity, Lordship of Christ, water baptism etc as key elements

I think perhaps Sebastian has a good point we are moving into a place great sensitivity .
    I brought it up with idea it would foster some debate etc which it has done, perhaps its time to move on.

I am signing off on this, for those who wish to carry on, perhaps in another arena.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Hughie:

Perhaps we should agree to disagree.

I contend that if you make a study of the jewish and christian "faiths" you will find exactly the same wild misinterpretations of the books, exactly the same vicious behaviour and exactly the same lack of central authority or any other form of self correction. I don't think I have time to go find references for you as I'm going to NZ on holiday this saturday and am a bit rushed this week. If I can't support my position then I might as well not have one.

While I disagree with you I am really happy you've thought about this and made sensible arguments.

Sebastiaan56: If you have the whole thread handy perhaps you can find where I accused YOU of calling me racist. I concede some of my comments may be misinterpreted that way, but it was intended as a general reference. As I said previously my intention was to take that element out of this discussion. I am very happy to hear anyone's views on immigration and refugees. I would really like to read a compelling argument on why we should encourage immigration and how better to handle refugees wanting to settle in Australia. There are bits and pieces of that from various people but as far as I can see no one has made a good comprehensive statment explaining their position. I THINK I have, but maybe I haven't made myself clear.

Edit: I don't think anyone singled me out as racist. It was brought up a few times and my intention was to eliminate it globally. It is not an argument. My comments weren't aimed specifically at you.

As I said above I'm a tad distracted just now...
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

Default enjoy

As I said above I'm a tad distracted just now...
    Tis the nature of the beast...holidays Enjoy NZ is a great place to holiday, especially if your going to the South Island at this time.

I enjoyed your comments on the matter
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Thank you, coromandel and nelson/tasmin/blenheim/malborough. My partner has a cronic illness and she can't move around every day, so 2 days in auckland to recover from the flight and meet a friend, a week at coromandel, 3 nights in nelson, 4 in blenheim, back overnight to nelson and fly out.

Days getting shorter job list getting longer
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

My last contrib: my daughter sometimes works in a new cafe opened by friends in mid/north Melbourne. They have a sandwich on the menu called the Cronulla Handshake, Turkish bread with tabouleh and vegemite ;-}
    Cheers, Ern