Sorry for the long post...we are currently renovating a house we puchased (apparently built in the late 70's and renovated again in the mid 80's). The house is double story brick on concrete slab – downstairs is full brick, upstairs half the house is brick veneer the other half is full brick.
We have found termite damage to one of the bathroom walls in the upstairs brick veneer section – probadly done in the last 12-18 months. Termites were in about 5 years ago also and a Pod system was installed (see below).

This probadly not so much of a problem since the bathroom is being stripped anyway as part of the renovation. The house has a termite Pod system (stations every 3-4 metres – total of 13 stations), The area surronding the house is all paved and tiled so no grass area at all. At the back on our block we have a number of trees before the back neighbours – we are about 2 kms away from the Royal National Park.

A few questions:

1. If we replace the timbers in the bathroom walls is it better to use a particular type of timber more resistance to termites, I heard cypress pine is better or treated pine?

2. I assume better waterproofing once in on the new bathroom may help the situation ayway – reduces mositure.

3. To re-active the Pod system will cost me $1200 for 12 months and $1000 every year. Is it better to have a couple of annual inspections rather than go for the Pod system? Or is it something I can manage if the Pods are already around the house as well as a professional inspection annually?

4. I have removed a fireplace and all timbers from the house.

5. Upstair we plan to lay floorboards, most of the upstair floor is cypress pine and we plan to go over them with a hardwood. Should we look out for anything?

6. What else should be look at since most of the internal downstairs floor area has been stripped of tiles. Is it an idea to lay a chemical barrier before tiling again or would you rely on the Pod system?

Any other advice? Thanks.

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...