Hi I'm new to this site.

I want to have a decorative gas fire with natural draught flue installed in a Daniel Robertson double brick wall that divides my lounge room from an outside courtyard and garden. My intention to cut through both walls and frame the cavity so as to cover the projection of the heater's outer box at the rear (approx 155mm).The exposed cover will be camouflaged by a future water tank.

The usual installation method for this type of fire is to build a decorative surround in front of the existing wall.(inside the room).

I need to prepare a hole in my solid brick wall to allow installation by a professional gas heater installer.

The hole will need to be cut to approx 1000 wide by 673 high in both the 2 brick walls. Plus on the exterior wall a vertical slot of approx 300 wide above the square cut out to the eaves. This slot allows for the flue (250 dia double skinned) to be vertical with no bend and semi recessed. I am assuming that I will need to support the bricks above the cut with a steel lintel, (maybe a 1/4 angle), but unsure about the vertical section cut for the flue

Has anyone done it, or happy for advice.

Note I am a reasonable handyman and will have an experienced friend helping

Recent projects include
a new 46 m sq deck, bathroom renovations including spa, floor to ceiling tiling,etc
other projects other the years
include a solid bluestone (2000 stones) holiday house, and other renovations

Read and reply to the full thread at RenovateForum.com....