Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kalsomine/calsomine and paint.

I have a wall which has had Kalsomine applied to it many many yrs ago.

Prior when I had a simular problem I washed the wall and applied a coat of sealer primer to it and painted wall as was needed and all was well.

I have been told by local hardware store to clean up the rough flaking paint off the Kalsomine wall and just mix some E.B Emulsabond to the undercoat I wish to apply and this will elimanate the need to wash the Kalsomine of the plaster.

Would this be the way to go with EB stuff or wash the wall and apply a sealer primer instead,also if I was to use either method, I need to apply some filler to fill up marks etc in the plaster,would I use the filler after I have applied either of the above or would I apply that prior to either of above.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

You may do better posting this question on our sister forum Renovate Forums in the plastering or painting forum.
    You'll have to re-register there, but then you'll get access to "tradies" who do this sort of thing every day.
    Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Gday Cart,

Emulsabond will do the trick without a worry. Its emulsified oil and as you can imagine, it soaks right into the wall binding everything together and then sealing the surface.

You need to mix it 4 to 1 and for every litre you use it makes another litre of paint. Only use it on the first coat as it creates a tacky surface at times which is not suitable for a finished surface.

Clean off the flaking paint first, then fill any imperfections before applying the first coat. The wet filler will more than likely re-activate the kalsomine which will bleed through to the surface of the filler but the first coat of paint mix with the emulsabond will seal the whole lot up.

Hope this helps you.

Ross.