Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Locating Mahoghany & Rosewood in WA

Hi Guys

I'm a woodwork teacher from Pinjarra and this year some of my senior kids have decided to make electric guitars. As you can tell from my title I'm trying to find Mahogany and Rosewood for two of my boys. I've tried all the big companies in the local area but I've had no luck. I was wondering if any of you would have any idea on where else to look?

Thanks

Kieran

Hey Keiren,

There is a bloke that has a Mill half way to Bunbury, I think it's called South Coast Timbers, the guys name is John, I have some of his Mahogany, Rosewood you will have to try Morgans at Naval Base or some one in Perth, how much do you need??

HazzaB
    It's Hard to Kick Goals, When the Ba^$%##ds Keep moving the Goal Posts.

Check out my Website www.harrybutlerdesigns.com.au

Talk to Tim Spittle at Australian Tonewoods ...hes in Bassendean. If he doesnt have what youre after then he can probably point you in the right direction.

If youre building solid body guitars then rosewood might prove an expensive choice of wood. I'm paying around $90 for an Indian Rosewood back and side set for an acoustic and theres not alot of wood in each set. Maple, ash and other woods might be a more economically viable choice.

Andrew and other electric builders on the Musical Instruments subforum will be able to advise you further.

Cheers Martin
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Thanks for your help guys. I've got a couple of free periods today so I'll get in touch with these guys then. I never thought it would be so difficult to find this timber. Finger crossed I get some today. The biggest problem is size I'm looking for 1000 x 200 x 40-50.

Some of the kids have been scared off by the prices of these timbers and have decided to make a pine body and use a 7mm maple skin. But there is one boy who is an AC/DC fanatic and he wants his guitar to match the lead guitarists Gibson SG. Trying to get kids to make something individual is a bloody nightmare!

Hi,

The other person to contact is Ormsby guitars who I think is based in Fremantle? He has luthiers supplies for sale and stocks the timbers you are after. Check out his web site. However the current market prices for the species used in an SG will knock you off your stool. Not sure if he will sell you his hog though. Very difficult to come by, that is American mahogany. Might consider trying fijian mahogany. Same species, just grown in plantations in Fiji, rather than forests in South America. Alot cheaper.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Kieran,
    Mandurah Catholic College students have made some nice Guitars over the last few years, maybe staff there can give you some advice.

Thanks for that Peter. One kid has been looking at Ormsby for some ideas, he has decided that he wants to order some of the maple for the front of his guitar. All I can do is show them the costs and if they want to pay it, they pay it.

The stress of being a teacher!

A good exercise for the kids to learn that bling comes at a price!!
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

They did get a shock today when I told them what I had found. I did explain this to all of them at the end of last year but I don't think they were listening!

Phoned around a few of the places today guys but didn't have much luck, I did however get their answering machines. Unfortunetly due to my strong accent answering machines and me don't work, people in Oz always fail to understand me! They tell me to talk slower, I reckon they should listen more!! So I will give it another go tomorrow.

Melbourne Outer East right next to mount dande

mathews timber in vermont [melbourne] has heaps of 200x50 mahogany
    they would probably send you over 2 or 3 metres - its round $40 a meter +freght
    ask for ian in the yard and tell him what you want it for
    ray c
    dunno what's more fun, buyin' the tools or usin' em'

Thanks for the tip Old Picker, didn't think at looking at the other states but that price sounds very good. I've had one guy quote me $100 for a metre of 200x40!

Your tip was spot on Old Tiper! Ordered the material this morning. Managed to get New Guinea Rosewood for $35 plm and Fujian Mahogany for $33plm! What a result!

Thats a great tip Ray, better than I can do in Sydney at the moment as well.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com