Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: G'day

Thumbs up G'day

I'm writing from Olympia Washington USA , I'm a newbie to woodworking also a 54 year old Grandpa of 3 Beautiful girls . I mention the grandbabies because I know there are alot of ol' farts out there making wonderful things for their grandchildren. I want to leave something behind that will be special for these girls and generations to come. I just want to clear up the ol' farts comment as I am falling into that catagory fast. I haven't made my first project yet , that's how green I am but I am doing alot of studying , researching and buying tools before I make that first perfect project. I'm glad to find this forum as I know Aussies are wonderful and creative folks, I watch everything I can on the internet on woodworking I can find. SAFETY FIRST seems to be the best bet. I leave you with this, Woodworkers don't rot they petrify. Hope that make sense. I mean that in the most flattering way. Hope to see you all in the future forums. Big Eddy

Welcome Eddy, and as you are only 54 years old, welcome to at least another quarter century or so of "old farthood". Petrify means to turn to stone and I sure would prefer that than to rot away. In my experience, grandchildren like boxes and some designs are fairly straightforward for those who are just gathering a few tools to begin with.

Hi Eddy, welcome to the forum.

"The training of the eyes to know when an edge is perfectly straight or a surface is flat, free from winding, and straight, is a very important part of a lad's training."

Thumbs up

G'day Eddy and welcome to the communion of the slightly sane>

Great to see you preparing to spend even more of your hard-earned on the right sort of toys.

Welcome to the forum.

You have already left something. The next Generation.

Hi Eddy and welcome, your note on saftey is very true, it's always ##### load easier to do woodwork with "all" your fingers. Make sure you post us some photos of work.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

Default Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by mjmjm View Post
    Hi Eddy, welcome to the forum.
    I appreciate the welcome, I hope to make projects that I can share, I have been bitten by the wood bug and can't wait until the weather gets better and I can get my wife to move her convertible outside and I can use the garage for what it was meant for . (lol)

Default G'day

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost2 View Post
    Welcome Eddy, and as you are only 54 years old, welcome to at least another quarter century or so of "old farthood". Petrify means to turn to stone and I sure would prefer that than to rot away. In my experience, grandchildren like boxes and some designs are fairly straightforward for those who are just gathering a few tools to begin with.
    I really believe that boxes are a good place to start also, I would like to find patterns for hidden drawers and such, Puzzles , chairs and toys I think would also be appropriate for my grand daughters . Thanks it has been a great welcome from a bunch of good folks.. I plan on being a useful and busy part of the forums. Thanks again.

Default g'day

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    G'day Eddy and welcome to the communion of the slightly sane>

Great to see you preparing to spend even more of your hard-earned on the right sort of toys.
    thank you very much

Default G'day

Quote Originally Posted by Christos View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

You have already left something. The next Generation.
    My grandbabies are most important to me and I will spoil them crazy, I will teach them how to use the tools as they get bigger and push safety formost.

Default G'day

Quote Originally Posted by Claw Hama View Post
    Hi Eddy and welcome, your note on saftey is very true, it's always ##### load easier to do woodwork with "all" your fingers. Make sure you post us some photos of work.
    I will post my work as soon as I get my projects started. Doesn't everyone have only 9 fingers ? I will do my best to keep those I have intact. Thank everyone for such a warm welcome.

Welcome to the forum Eddy, you sound just like the kind of guy we love to have on this forum. Great to have you aboard.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Gday Eddy

Welcome "young man".
    Now you've got an extra language to learn - ORSTRALYUN or STRINE
    You can lose the "old fart" handle and join us in denial.
    Have a good one
    Keith