Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Smile Hello from Virginia, US

Hello Everyone,

My name is Kelana and I am interested in learning more about woodworking. My father is a cabinetmaker and works full time as a furniture designer and maker in Chicago, IL. I guess he passed the bug on to me but my first passion is horses so I have never done much woodworking myself. I have limited experience but my father and I built me a tack trunk (box to hold horse equipment). With my boyfriend I have built a mounting block (steps to get up onto the horse), and jumping standards (for jumping horses). In the past I have also refinished a few tables, an end table, and I think a chair.

My boyfriend's has very limited experience with finish carpentry and so he and I often struggle to work together on these types of projects. He can build a house, a barn, etc, but doesn't have the patience required for finish work. I want to gain more experience so I can complete more projects one my own. I love detailed and exact work so woodworking seems to me to be a really fun hobby. I currently have several projects in mind that I want to start working on a soon as the weather clears up here. I need to refinish the aforementioned tack trunk, build a prettier mounting block, more jump standards, a bookcase, and a bin to store my horses' feed.

I am sure I will be posting for advise since my experience is so limited. I look forward to reading other people's posts to gain more knowledge, and learn what experienced woodworkers have to share.

Cheers!
    Kelana

Welcome to the forum, Kelana. I live in the Warrenton / Culpeper area and also have horses. I have built many jumping standards as well as stalls and milking stands for goats. My wife is very good at building gates from old fence boards. I look forward to seeing more posts from you. Whereabouts in VA are you?
    When all is said and done, there is usually a whole lot more said than done.

G'day Kelana,
    Welcome to the "play ground" and the sea of information. Another horsey person, I've been married to one for the last 30 odd yrs and she's been riding since the age of 11.
    We, here, all gain knowledge from one another and the info. is never ending.
    SEEK and you'll RECEIVE
    Welcome
    Jack

Hi Kelana, welcome to this little corner of the world where advice is plentiful and some of it even worth listening to.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Thumbs up

G'day Kelana and welcome to the fun!!

We have an ever growing band of memebers from the States here, so you should not feel too homesick.

Welcome to the forum.

Just post your question in the sub forums and I am sure someone will be able to answer it.

Hi and welcome to the forum, nice to see more ladies getting the wood bug, will cost just as much as a good horse. Enjoy
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

Hi Kelana, welcome to the forum.

"The training of the eyes to know when an edge is perfectly straight or a surface is flat, free from winding, and straight, is a very important part of a lad's training."

Quote Originally Posted by ciscokid View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Kelana. I live in the Warrenton / Culpeper area and also have horses. I have built many jumping standards as well as stalls and milking stands for goats. My wife is very good at building gates from old fence boards. I look forward to seeing more posts from you. Whereabouts in VA are you?

Wow! You are practically my neighbor! I live in Unionville, about 25 minutes SE from Culpeper. I'm off Rt. 20 down 522. I work in NoVA so I drive up 29 almost everyday.

Standards are pretty easy, especially if you use the pre-made keyhole tracks, which is what we did. It's a wonder that they are so expensive to buy! I'd like to learn how your wife does gates out of fence boards. We have the standard tube steel gates and I think they are ugly.

Knowing how to make you own stalls must be a real money saver! My boyfriend and I (mostly him) retrofitted "temporary" stalls under a lean-to when we bought our place two years ago. Still working on funds for the permanent barn. ;-) You know how that goes!

I'm sure I'll be posting here fairly often so I hope to see some of yours too!

Quote Originally Posted by Claw Hama View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum, nice to see more ladies getting the wood bug, will cost just as much as a good horse. Enjoy
    Oh Geez! That's just what I need!!!

Thank you everyone for such a nice Welcome! I am sure I will learn a lot and will enjoy the "company".