Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Walnut Oil (cooking)

I was given a Jarrah log 60cm dia by 10cm thick. I managed to find a local guy with a horizontal bandsaw who chopped the log in half. I now have 2 pieces of wood approx 60cm dia by 4.5cm thick. I am turning them into chopping boards for a kitchen.

As i did not have any tools when i first got this chopped up, i gave one to a work mate who told me that her dad would be interested in finishing the block off for me.

The block came back all shiny and gleaming.

Out of the blue, she texted me yesterday and told me that her dad was interested in how the Walnut Oil (cooking oil from deli) was holding up, and did i need the block re-oiling with it.

Over this last year, this Walnut Oil has not gone rancid, smelly or discoloured. The board appears the same condition as it was when i got it back. The board is used for meat (cooked and raw, veg, fruit etc).

Is this unusual, or is it a slower process for food oils to go rancid.

Walnut oil is a good choice; some other nut oils too.

Olive is not good for wood implements as it can go off.
    Cheers, Ern

The only oils approved for cutting boards are walnut oil, grapeseed oil and mineral (parafin) oil, that is all.

If allergies are no problem, use whatever you like, if however you have no idea who or are unsure about the end user, parafin is the best choice.

Interesting, I would have thought that walnut oil would go rancid as quickly or more quickly than olive oil, given that kernels off the shell do not last long. Probably the smell would be less pungent. In any case, a year of constant use is a long time. My guess is that the original walnut oil slowly disappeared unnoticed and the shine is now the patina of use. According to the other threads on the subject, which I perused when making my first end grain chopping board out of pine, no oil is the best option anyway, especially for pine, followed by paraffin oil. So, no need to touch it if you are happy with it, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzi View Post
    The only oils approved for cutting boards are walnut oil, grapeseed oil and mineral (parafin) oil, that is all.

If allergies are no problem, use whatever you like, if however you have no idea who or are unsure about the end user, parafin is the best choice.
    For a proponent of reason, Cruzi, you sound quite dogmatic.

As there seem to be a lot of people with some sort of allergic reaction to nut based products, it is generally not a good idea to use nut-derived oils such as walnut oil on food preparation utensils.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank&Earnest View Post
    For a proponent of reason, Cruzi, you sound quite dogmatic.
    Have done a lot of research, the information given is based on FDA recommendations, and since I sell more than a couple of boards, public liability is a big issue, so it is not dogma but reasoned answer to given situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzi View Post
    Have done a lot of research, the information given is based on FDA recommendations, and since I sell more than a couple of boards, public liability is a big issue, so it is not dogma but reasoned answer to given situation.
    I did not question your wisdom, I just had a little dig (no offense meant) at the delivery because of its stark contrast with the intent of your signature. Blame my particular sense of humour.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    As there seem to be a lot of people with some sort of allergic reaction to nut based products, it is generally not a good idea to use nut-derived oils such as walnut oil on food preparation utensils.
    It is the proteins in nuts that cause allergic reactions. The lipids (oils) are not allergenic if they are properly filtered and refined. I the oil is clear and there is no residue on the bottom of the container it is Ok. Raw oils are not trustworthy. The US FDA is pretty much the benchmark but they are overcautious IMO and there are serious questions on impartiality.

The other side of the coin is that refined oils may have an oxidation inhibitor (Vitamin E) added which may render them useless as finishes.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

This issue has been banged and banged both here and other places.

for a variety of reasons.....parafin oil is the only reliable choice.

it is clear, tasteless, has no organic content and can not "go off".

It represents no alergy issues and does not harbour any microbes.

Damn I've been waiting years to use that emoticon.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

We use peanut oil on our eucalyptus outdoor setting, as recommended in research by the CSIRO. It does not go off.
    regards,

Dengy

And what about the little old Lady who has used nothing but saflower oil or canola oil for 20 years on her old pine cutting board , never had a problem with it going rancid or anything else

Poor dead horse... it isn't finished yet.