Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    I find it confusing as the Yanks have decimalised the inches etc. to also be in 10ths. If they can grasp 10ths, why not decimals?

Very, very, very
    Well you see, Waldo, that would entail some evil-ushin, & that isn't encouraged, over there.
    IW

Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post
    Well you see, Waldo, that would entail some evil-ushin, & that isn't encouraged, over there.

You don't want something evil lurking in the shadows of your shop now.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Ah, gotcha! I'm a bit slow on the uptake, Jeff - it's that unevolved marsupial brain.

Yup - you need every scheme you can dream up to get that economy of yours back on the high road! So get cracking, lad, crank that Woodmizer down another half turn & go at it.

Cheers,
    I'm gonna contact the forest service tomorrow, tell the Aussies are on board

I work in an operating theater and when we have ceasers the moms and gran moms insist on knowing the baby's weight in pounds and oz. These young girls don't even know what a pound is...
    I am learning, slowley.

[QUOTE=IanW;1105108]Jeff, that's just what I was trying to say - there IS no equivalent to a board/super foot in the metric system, so if you can think up a suitable catchy name for 2.35 litres, you have the patent....
    Yeh - just over 1/2 gallon

The actual conversion from super (or board foot) is 423.89....
    The soft conversion the industry uses is 4.444 - cause they call 2" 50mm etc...
    Canadians - like yanks, still use imperial and sell 1" board as 4/4, 2" as 8/4 - go figure.

The actual conversion from super to metric in say 7/4 x 4 x 10' to 45 x 100 x 3.0 metre is
    Thickness in inches / thickness in metres / 9
    so 7/4 x 4 is 1.75 / 0.045 / 9 = 432.09875 super foot to the cubic metre.
    2 x 5 is 2/0.05/9 = 4.4444

Ian
    1 x 4 in actual is 1/0.0254/9=

[quote=Offcuts;1106810]
    Jeff, that's just what I was trying to say - there IS no equivalent to a board/super foot in the metric system, so if you can think up a suitable catchy name for 2.35 litres, you have the patent....
    Yeh - just over 1/2 gallon

The actual conversion from super (or board foot) is 423.89....
    The soft conversion the industry uses is 4.444 - cause they call 2" 50mm etc...
    Canadians - like yanks, still use imperial and sell 1" board as 4/4, 2" as 8/4 - go figure.

The actual conversion from super to metric in say 7/4 x 4 x 10' to 45 x 100 x 3.0 metre is
    Thickness in inches / thickness in metres / 9
    so 7/4 x 4 is 1.75 / 0.045 / 9 = 432.09875 super foot to the cubic metre.
    2 x 5 is 2/0.05/9 = 4.4444

Ian
    1 x 4 in actual is 1/0.0254/9=
    Little hard for me to follow However there is one thing I would like to mention.

a 4/4 thick SOFTwood board is cut to 1" thick but a 4/4 HARDwood board is cut to 1 1/8" thick. Hardwood shrinks more in the kiln than softwood does. In order to ensure both 4/4 hard and soft woods will dress out to final 3/4" thickness they both need to be cut off the log at different thickness. Not sure how it's done anywhere else but this is pretty much the norm around here.

My opinion only... If the US were to adopt the metric system, the lumber industry would actually dress 3/4 inch thick board thinner than 3/4", It would be 19mm. I think this would be good for the country and would save a lot of timber, simply because 19mm is thinner than 3/4. Add up that little bit of saved wood from every board cut an it would add up real quick. I doubt we'll adopt the metric system here in the USA untll we get some young blood into Gov

I recall when there was an initial push to convert the US to metric - it never really caught on... I also recall reading in the local news paper about a gas station that was selling gasoline by the litre instead of by the gallon. That gas station went out of business within a month because they couldn't sell any gas. In the news paper article It was proven this particular gas station was selling the cheapest gas in town. But when people are not taught that it takes 3.785 litres to make up 1 US gallon, people thought they were getting ripped off when actually they weren't.

Thanks

<table style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 15px; font-weight: bold; color: Navy;"><tbody><tr><td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> </tr><tr> <td style="">
    </td> <td>
    </td> </tr><tr> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    Mills Custom sawing - Everyone wants my wood

The one conversion that is not straight forward, for me anyways, is litres/100km to mpg. I always forget it.

The rest are easy. Just have to remember 1 inch = 25.4mm and 1 litre = 1000 cubic cm
    regards,

Dengy