Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Caution when using SCMS

I am using the mightly makita LS1214 to built a bed for my son.

When using this to cut spotty I was reminded of the hazards with any type of saw. The spotty I was using had some grain related cracking. I had ripped a 30x30mm piece for the supports for the rails. I was cutting this at a 45 deg angle. I was using the clamp on the lhs of the saw (I mostly try to use this). When the cut was approximately 1/2 through, the cracked section came loose and was picked up by the blade, flinging it out the back and slightly twisting the clamped piece of wood.

If I had been holding this then my hand could well have ended up where it doesn't want to go. This has happened a couple of times, and every time I am grateful of using the clamp and keeping fingers well away from the blade.

A warning to others - please keep all hands away from the blade and use the clamp to hold the workpiece whenever possible.

Cheers,

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Found myself flexing my thumb when reading this.
    When the wood starts flying it's best to check that things haven't been knocked out of square.
    Cheers,
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I have been a bit uncomfortable using my son's LS1212 saw, it is so powerful and I have had a few near misses with things flying around the shed. Reading this thread hit home hard.

Can anyone please advise where I can get the hold down clamps for the LS1212 SCMS? I could not find them on the parts diagram and listing here
    regards,

Dengy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JillB View Post
    I have been a bit uncomfortable using my son's LS1212 saw, it is so powerful and I have had a few near misses with things flying around the shed. Reading this thread hit home hard.

Can anyone please advise where I can get the hold down clamps for the LS1212 SCMS? I could not find them on the parts diagram and listing here
    Is this what you are looking for Jill? I think the one for the LS1212 is about $38.
    If I have it right, this is the code # for the LS1212 vice clamp
    Makita 192549-5 Vise Clamp

There is a newer model of this item: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Makita-122536-0-Vertical-Miter-LS1040/dp/B001U44JBQ/ref=dp_ob_image_hi"][/ame] [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Makita-122536-0-Vertical-Miter-LS1040/dp/B001U44JBQ/ref=dp_ob_title_hi"]Makita 122536-0 Vertical Vice for Miter Saw LS1040[/ame]
    $29.99
    Usually ships in 3 to 4 weeks
    See a problem? Let us know

I found all this on Amazon so you should be able to get them in Oz from a Makita dealer.

Colin.

Post Thanks / Like

many thanks Colin, I will visit Glenfords tomorrow - they are the local Qld Makita dealer
    regards,

Dengy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JillB View Post
    many thanks Colin, I will visit Glenfords tomorrow - they are the local Qld Makita dealer
    Hi Jill, have you asked your son where is the clamp?

They usually come with the saw.
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Post Thanks / Like

Yes DJ, several times, and if you could see his shed then you would know why he can't find it I think he still has the diff and rear axle of the first car he ever had 20 years ago in there somewhere
    regards,

Dengy

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough, sounds like you need to do a spring clean for him

Hey Mum where do ya put the thingnubib that goes with the wotsucallit
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Post Thanks / Like

I found all this on Amazon so you should be able to get them in Oz from a Makita dealer.

Might be cheaper and faster via Amazon than the local dealer..