Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post

Funny thing is people used to just accept this. However since the crusading, evangelical churches from the States have gained a foothold in the region every thing has become a matter of God punishing the people for God only knows what.

The hardworking, but poor and good people must wonder what they have done to deserve this double whammy.
    No need to wonder Artme. They just embraced evangelists.
    Every person takes the limit of their own vision for the limits of the world.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by jerryc View Post
    No need to wonder Artme. They just embraced evangelists.
    True enough Jerry. The really worrying part is that these evangelical types play on people's fears and ignorance.

They are, in my opinion a slightly more sophisticated version of the voodoo and macumba practitioners who are so prevalent in the poorer ares of Brasil.

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    True enough Jerry. The really worrying part is that these evangelical types play on people's fears and ignorance.
    You're thinking of demagogues, not evangelists, they sometimes overlap but not always

Quote Originally Posted by funkychicken View Post
    You're thinking of demagogues, not evangelists, they sometimes overlap but not always
    I was thinking of evangelists. My original comment was a throw away line but like Artme I had in mind a very prevalent TYPE of evangelist --the demagogic type.

Demagogue
    A leader of the people; an agitator who appeals to the passions and prejudices of the people; a facetious orator; an unprincipled politician.

To clarify the matter I certainly did not have in mind "a facetious orator" as this type of evangelist is not "given to or characterized by pleasantry; waggish or jocular utterances."

Jerry
    Every person takes the limit of their own vision for the limits of the world.

acmegridley Guest

Where are my juju dolls man?
    I've got an urgent request for one from a Mr.Tony Abbott from somewhere called Canberra,something in the shape of a little fellow with glasses!