Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Router connection problem

We have just left Sydney for the Mid North Coast of NSW so have lost cable broadband. In Sydney we had a cable modem with a Netgear WGR614 v5 wireless router connected and all worked fine supporting three computers. The ISP was Optus. Following the move we have signed up with AAPT for our internet ADSL service. They have supplied a speedtouch DSL modem. This works fine when directly connected to any computer (Vista and XP). However. if the wireless router is connected to the modem all comes to a stand still. The required user name and password have been entered via both the Wizard and the Basic information page. No luck. It appears that an IP address is not being obtained. I have tried everything with no luck. Is it possible that something still exists from the Optus connection that is causing a problem. Any other ideas.
    Bob

"If a man is after money, he's money mad; if he keeps it, he's a capitalist; if he spends it, he's a playboy; if he doesn't get it, he's a never-do-well; if he doesn't try to get it, he lacks ambition. If he gets it without working for it; he's a parasite; and if he accumulates it after a life time of hard work, people call him a fool who never got anything out of life."
    - Vic Oliver

One (and only one) of the devices needs to be responsible for "handing out" IP addresses to each PC. It could be your DLS modem, or your wireless router, but it can't be both. The process is called DHCP, and you should see a setting on each of the devices (router and modem) configuration page that allows you to turn it on or off.

I'd check that only one is set up for DHCP, and that the other is set to get its IP address automatically. I've seen the problem you're reporting occur when two devices don't know which is boss.

Could be something completely different, but I'd try this first.

ajw

Thanks for the reply.

You were on the right track. I implemented your suggestion without success. However, further searching on the net revealed that in addition to turning DHCP off in the router, I needed to obtain the modem's default IP address and install it onto the router. I then conected the modem to LAN 1 and the PC to LAN 4 - all good. The wireless side of things always worked OK. I could have also bridged the modem. But modems supplied by most ISPs are locked into their environment and bridging becomes a bit messy.

Once again, thanks.
    Bob

"If a man is after money, he's money mad; if he keeps it, he's a capitalist; if he spends it, he's a playboy; if he doesn't get it, he's a never-do-well; if he doesn't try to get it, he lacks ambition. If he gets it without working for it; he's a parasite; and if he accumulates it after a life time of hard work, people call him a fool who never got anything out of life."
    - Vic Oliver