Thread: 8 YO Terrorist

Default 8 YO Terrorist

I got sent this 8-year-old Boy Scout placed on terrorist watchlist - Airline News - etravelblackboard.com

Now you would think that the idiots in charge of these systems would be able to do something about it? Doesnt give their system credibility. It makes it look as a cost generating, punitive exercise to annoy the traveling public.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

rrich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiaan56 View Post
    INow you would think that the idiots in charge of these systems would be able to do something about it? Doesnt give their system credibility. It makes it look as a cost generating, punitive exercise to annoy the traveling public.
    Wow! Those two sentences have so accurately described our "Home Land Security" department. It's really scarey!

once again in th name of "public safety" the innocents are being cought up in the ##### fight.

This is so rememnicent of WWII when all the non anglo and indigenous peoples in Australia ( and other countries) were locked up "for their own safety".

I for one would much prefere the slight possability of being blowen up in mid air to that of being so overly paranoid that I got asked what my occupation etc etc was when I boarded a plane with my regulator set ( for scuba diving) in my hand luggage as I did not want it being stolen from the baggage section of the plaine.

What is the issue I asked when confronted by security personelle at the screening part of the airport. They said it can be used for terroist activity.

Give me a break!! really ..... so can a plastic spoon if you use it right!

Home land security my ####!

This is all about taking away the power of the individual for some unknown reason.

God/dess help us all I say.

Having grown up in Britain during the sustained bombing campaign of the IRA in the 70's and 80's can I just point out that the terrorists win not by killing people but be frightening many. I think it was Mao Tse Tong who said "kill one frighten thousands".

From a terrorist perspective the targets are not army or the mercenaries who serve as security in Iraq the targets are the people. If you blow a bomb up you kill maybe a few, injure maybe a dozen BUT you frighten hundreds of thousands.
    I taught in a high school in London, the IRA bombed the local army recruting office, one girls was badly cut ut after that many of my students refused point blank to enter the CBD. The IRA had won their point. The US refused to extradite bombers on the grounds the bombings were "political acts" I wonder how it wold go down if the UK refused to send Bin Laden back to USA (where he was trained in espionage).

Here's the rub.
    ALL countries have engaged in terrorism. (yes even Australia).
    ALL governments accept it is sometimes it is justified. And we accept that when we vots for them.

Israel had the Stern Gang they fought against Britain during WW2, bombing cafes and bars shooting and hanging troops from the lamposts, they even killed a UN mediator. Remember this is in what is now Israel, wher ethey won't talk to "terrorist" Palestinians.

The UK security services helped set off car bombs in central Dublin killing 26 (including a cousin of mine).

The French Resistance used children to smuggle weapons and information to defeat the Nazis.

Let's not mention the US.

Every time we change our way of life they win,
    Every time we flinch they win,
    Every time we worry they win.
    Every loss of freedom:
    be it security at airports (never caught a terrorist yet),
    loss of privacy,
    billions of dollars spent,
    banning Hiijabs and Burquas .
    is a victory for "them".

If they can drive a wedge into or society the win.

Cant disagree with a word of what you say Muncher. They also win when the bureaucracy is to panic stricken to include features in their data such as date of birth and sex. twits....
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

Quote Originally Posted by haggismuncher View Post
    be it security at airports (never caught a terrorist yet),
    That you know of

I don't disagree with what has been written but if the authorities publicise too many foiled plots then the fear would still be perpetuated.
    It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it.

The usual pedantic bureaucratic over kill that nobody will take responsibility for and so it cant be changed. Small minded bureaucrats with too much power and little accountability.

I had a boss whose surname was Nitti . Could not go to the US with out the 3rd degree, although he was a Canadian with no Mafia affiliations of which he had already proved time and time again. Things never changed for him.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by corbs View Post
    That you know of

I don't disagree with what has been written but if the authorities publicise too many foiled plots then the fear would still be perpetuated.
    And not publicising breeds a suspicion that its just another control game. Remember these are the people who brought us high points such as Saddam's weapons of mass destruction. I note what you do Corbs and honour your profession but the spooks and their masters are demonstrably not trustworthy. Unfortunately for this child he is the victim of their institutionalised paranoia.

My eyesight must be going. I've just realised the thread isn't called BYO Terrorist.
    Cheers,
    Jim

I'm not suggesting the whole big brother scenario is the answer but if you have any friends that are in protective services (State/Federal Police or airport security), ask them what sort of stuff they see in a year. A guy I work with used to be with protective services at the Canberra airport. He basically said that if you knew everything that went on in that world, you would probably think twice about flying.

I used to work in a high security (communications) area of the Navy but am now a Physical Trainer where I don't see that sort of information anymore. That said, the unit I am now working at is probably one of the most secure facilities in Australia. We were always taught "the greatest threat to security is the belief there is no threat"

I think the whole airport security scenario is a joke when a bunch of bikies can brawl in Melbourne airport, kill a guy then catch taxies to leave the scene
    It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbur View Post
    my eyesight must be going. I've just realised the thread isn't called byo terrorist.:b
    cheers,
    jim
    roflmao!