Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: 3 phase article

Default 3 phase article

Recieved the link to an interesting article about 3 phase power this morning.
    The article describes how 3 phase works in basic terms. Might be of interest to others here.

click here

bollie7

Thats a pretty good read.

Coincidentally I got a similar article this morning from that mob who spruik phase change converters. Your article is better though.

I got the phase changer converters email this morning as well....

Did you ever look into those things properly? I got in touch with them when i bought my three phase lathe and was sussing out what to do to get it running at home.

I found that a VFD was going to be a better solution for me, at a fraction of the cost. Of course then I found out that I already had three phase at the house so I did neither and got my brother in law to put a three phase outlet in for me.

I have a 10hp model of theirs..It really does work well, it will start a 10hp electric motor under load.. I now have four, three phase machines in the workshop.. Varying in size from 3/4hp to 10hp..

Default 3 phase power

Hi

The article leaves out one important point. The torque from a 3 phase machine is constant which means less vibration. For a single phase machine torque varies , see the chart on single phase where it shows no power. No power = no torque , where the max is on the chart is max torque. So the torque goes max to zero and back 100 times a second = lots of vibration.

Three phase is constant because the fields rotate inside the machine which means a lot less vibration. The three phase chart does show this in a way. If you take the waveforms above the x axis , add them together you get a constant value.

BC

Quote Originally Posted by .RC. View Post
    I have a 10hp model of theirs..It really does work well, it will start a 10hp electric motor under load.. I now have four, three phase machines in the workshop.. Varying in size from 3/4hp to 10hp..
    I'm trying to get a handle on this topic too.
    What's the amp rating of the single phase circuit that feeds your 10hp motor?

Jordan

It runs off a 40 amp circuit..