The builder hasn't turned up so I'll have to have a go at some noggins myself.

I'm having ceiling fans installed in 6 rooms so I need to install some 'noggins' as supports I also want to reposition some existing small battens that lighting cables run through, before they go through the plasterboard ceiling.

It's a raked roof with just two layers of structure: 130mm purlins( rafters?) and about 3 visible beams scattered throughout the house. The noggins will go between the hardwood purlins/rafters, which are about the width of a batt apart.

The ceiling is down so I will be doing the job from underneath (no roof space anyway).

I have never installed a noggin and the fan ones need to be strong. Could you please give me really simple instructions. I'm OK with a drill and screwdriver bit, but don't have a nail gun.

1. Do I use screws or nails?
2. Predrilling?
3. Type of screw/nail and length?
4. Angle of the screws or nails (screw from noggin out to purlin up and outwards at an angle or from purline straight through? Or some other option.
5. No more nails to hold in place while I attach nails./screws?
6. Treated pine?
7. What width
8. In several rooms there is already a light batten (about 30mmX 20 - not wide enough for a fan?) Should I just place the fan noggin next to this without worrying about knocking out the existing?
9. Anything else?

I was thinking that I could just use No More Nails by itself for the light battens.

Any help greatly appreciated as I need to do this before the weekend is over.

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...