We would like to add an ensuite to the main bedroom of our single story brick veneer house, approx 2x3m, making the entrance out of an existing window and relocating this window to the adjacent wall. We would like to do the ensuite ourselves with the help of a carpenter for the shell structure, plus electrician and plumber. I am confident of doing the internal fitout, tiling and any villaboard hanging/setting and gyprock repairs to the bedroom. Roof would be a skillion extension, floor would be slab and shell rendered blueboard.

My question is this. Would a private certifier classify such a small extension as work greater than $12K? In QLD we can do work up to a value of $12K without applying for an owner/builders license. (Have built a deck, plus roof in the past but no O/B license required, even though we got quotes for as much as $23K). In QLD we are only allowed one of these every 6 years and I would not like to waste it on such a small extension. I haven't got any quotes from builders but I would be surprised if it came in at less than $20K. I believe we could do the work with the help of a chippie for around $8K - $10K (excluding plans and certification/council fees). Any comments or suggestions, particularly from any certifiers would be appreciated.

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...