Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Panasonic XM350 PVR recording

Have just bought myself a twin tuner Panasonic PVR with DVD recorder.

Apart from the normal hassles of getting some new equipment and understanding the manual I've got it working.

However one thing has me stumped, recording 2 programmes simultaneously, the main reason for buying one of these.

On page 31 of the manual it tells me this is possible as long as one the programmes is in DR mode (whatever the **** that is!).

I tried to set it to record the news on ABC1 and then Carols from St George on ABC1, no problems there. To test the 2 programme recording I then set it to record Carols by Candlelight on Channel 9 and it warned me this wasn't possible, the earlier recording would be terminated when this program started, ?

All 3 programmes say they are HD DR.

Am I missing something and how can I record 2 simultaneous programmes?

Were you watching a third channel at the time?
    Kev

OK, sorted, found the problem, I had inadvertently already set 2 programs to record, that's why it gave the warning when I tried to set another.

Still can't get the picture to fill the screen (analog TV Loewe 69), followed the instructions on page 78, used Side Cut, fills the screen for about 30 secs, then goes back to black lines at top and bottom.

Might actually have to weaken and buy an LCD screen and join the 21st century

Told myself I wouldn't do that till that bl**dy expensive Loewe would give up the ghost

Quote Originally Posted by KevM View Post
    Were you watching a third channel at the time?
    No Kev, sorry our posts crossed. See above.

Man it'll take me a bit of time to learn to drive that thing, seems to work well though.

Big Shed, get a teenager to translate the manual for you.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    Big Shed, get a teenager to translate the manual for you.
    Spent a bit more time on the manual (which is rather impenetrable) and got most things worked out.

What I couldn't work out I got by reading the DTV forum.

I initially thought you could only set a timer event for daily or weekly, it is all that is shown on the screen and in the manual. This would mean you have to use 7 timer events just to record ABC news every day! Turns out that once you select weekly with the special button, you can then use the UP/Down buttons to cycle through a number of other options, eg Mon-Fri. That is noweher in the manual!!!!

Anyway, now very happy with the machine, although it did cause extra expense.

SWMBO were considering getting a wide screen LCD TV to take advantage of the HD picture qualities/size of the Panasonic. The Loewe TV must have heard us talk and decided to spit the dummy the next day and lost it's picture.

Went out on Boxig Day to the sales and picked up a 37" LCD HD TV (largest that would fit in out existing cabinet) and now we have a totally different TV watching experience

Daughter has a 42" which I find too big, you can't take in the whole screen without moving your eyes/head all the time.

Amazed at how much these things have come down in price in the last 12 months.

They were advertising a 50" plasma for $1295 today, although I don't approve of their power consumption