Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking a fall

Correct about the multiple 90's into a 90. Simple rule, any intersection needs to have a diameter capable of taking the sum of the area of the pipes behind it. Therefor, 2 x 10cm sq pipes need to feed into a 20 cm sq pipe. Youo can do the numbers yourself if you like and at the end of the day you are governed by the size of connection to main the the council requires / allows. Consult a hydraulic engineeer.

Cheers
    Vrooooooom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you say, that means the gutter plumbing on most houses is never going to work. I'm an electronic engineer, and even I can work out that 5 x 90mm downpipes feeding a 90mm inground pipe can't be right . Apparently the people who built and certified my existing house think that it is.........

We're rural here - town water supply, but biocycle + an inground rainwater tank (for garden use). Our roof water all goes into the inground tank, and the overflow from that into our dam further down the paddock. The next house will also likely be on acres, so there should be no restriction on the size of inground stormwater pipe feeding our own tank?

Of course, I'll be careful to make sure that the overflow pipe from the inground tank is at least as big as the inlet......

Getting a bit off the roofing topic here, but I appreciate the information. Having built three homes with 'traditional' roofing/gutter designs over the years, the engineer in me thinks that there just has to be a better way ! I'm sitting in an architect designed home, built by a professional builder, certified by council.....and with downpipes that back up and overflow under even moderate rainfall

I might sketch out the roof design I have in mind and put it up here for comment......

Cheers !

It's lifes falls that can do most damage scared where no one can see. I am not relating to the Ego either.

Quote Originally Posted by tea lady View Post
    Jeez! Might stay on the ground. But my mum managed to break her ankle falling over a tiny bump in the path.

And someone eate your fruit Artme? Better look for a burglar without scurvy.

Artme,

get a very big nasty dog, mine is a 46kg german shepherd[/QUOTE]

Don't live there anymore and didn't have a dog at the time.

Over here we have the pleasant company of Nina, a beautiful Rottweiller with a great roaring bark.
    The other night some of the local dogs were yelping and barking in competition with the local stray mutts. Nina set to work with her Stentorian roar and everything settled down very smartly.

Pity the poor burglar here.

Arrow

Back on track with falls: First wife's grandfather was an old sea dog. Sailed round the horn under sail, worked on sailing ships taking kero to China for J.D.Rockerfella ( tried to spell that 7times and the spellchecker still says it's wrong) One time while furling sails he fell 80 feet to the deck.

Captain got a couple of blokes to stand him up, and remarkably the spine was not effected. A day in bed and back on the job!!!

Died at 91.

With trees too close to the house, and gutter guards useless against pine needles, and close to 2 feet overhang, I removed the gutters; weren't properly pitched anyway. Also ensured the ground slopes away from the house, with satisfactory surface drainage. First thing they teach in Civil Engineering school is "water goes downhill."

I've fallen from a few motorcycles, and seven airplanes, with parachute assist. The trick is to roll into the ground. Bumped my helmet once, though.

"Rockefeller," BTW.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by joe greiner View Post

"Rockefeller," BTW.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Ta!

Quote Originally Posted by joe greiner View Post

I've fallen from a few motorcycles, and seven airplanes, with parachute assist. The trick is to roll into the ground. Bumped my helmet once, though.

"Rockefeller," BTW.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Fallen off motorbikes yep and a few spills, slides no broken bones, forget to put stand down when at service station

Fallen from plane with parachute assist Jump with chute or was the chute open and you were dragged out . The only way to fly free fall from 30000ft how I wish

Sport parachuting, not accidental. When I was in the Army, and young and immortal. Usually about 3000ft, static line, no free fall. Second best sensation ever.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Agreed to help my boy fix the leak in his roof. When I arrived he was already up on top, so I carried the first lot of tools up the ladder and went to get the rest. Dopey me hadn't checked the ladder - son hadn't used a ladder on uneven ground before and had chocked BOTH legs on multiple bits of wood. Needless to say, the legs of the ladder slipped and my leg caught in the top rungs while the rest of me continued earthwards. 4 metres later, my neck plowed through the rose bushes into the garden soil while my back was arrested by the garden edging. The ambulance crew found no reason not to move me and an Xray the following day revealed no apparent damage. - Except constant back pain!
    Six years later, a bone scan - " Well, you don't have any cancer in your bones, but....When did you break your back?"
    Pain remains but at least I now know why.
    Cheers
    Graeme

Exclamation

Ouch!!!!!