Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Im old enough to remember Singapore as a cesspit of drugs and prostitution. The government of Lee Quan Yew got in and strung a few up. He made his country a civilised and respectable place.
    Being tolerant is fine but it leads on and on and there always must be a point of " This far, No further"
    I was living there during the reign of Lee Quan Yew and it was something to behold. Some crime but nothing on a scale of what was going on around Singapore. To date its doing fine, something to be said of a benevolent dictator .

Still as bad as 250 murders are there other spots that are worse that often slip through the cracks. In '76 in Jo'burg South Africa we had 399 murders it didn't get much of a write up overseas.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Exclamation

Hughie, I'm talking a population base of about 800,000 in what is basically a rural economy. The population of Jo,berg must be bigger than that?

I'm talking a population base of about 800,000 in what is basically a rural economy. The population of Jo,berg must be bigger than that?
    [/QUOTE]

Yes your right, I guess the point I was making that much of what happens like this does not make into the news for various reason.

When I was in Jo'burg the world was pre-occupied by the Apartheid issue and the plight of the down trodden etc. In may ways its now worse. but it don't make no news, no more, it ain't PC to criticize.

DEATH BY MURDER
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Arrow

That is one very interesting read Hughie. Thanks.

Update on murder rate in South Africa.
    Currently stands at 87 per day. Population about 45 million.
    That is 31 750 murders per year. Compared to where Artme is staying, it would equate 800000/45 mil * 31750 = 564 per 800 000 population. It is more than double that of where Artme is living.
    And South Africa have the soccer world cup next year. It's going to be interesting.
    Regards
    Les

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by lesmeyer View Post
    Update on murder rate in South Africa.
    Currently stands at 87 per day. Population about 45 million.
    That is 31 750 murders per year. Compared to where Artme is staying, it would equate 800000/45 mil * 31750 = 564 per 800 000 population. It is more than double that of where Artme is living.
    And South Africa have the soccer world cup next year. It's going to be interesting.
    Regards
    Les
    It sure is Les.

I think the murder rate in Rio is higher than here. This area is considered "safe:.

Quote Originally Posted by rrobor View Post
    Im old enough to remember Singapore as a cesspit of drugs and prostitution. The government of Lee Quan Yew got in and strung a few up. He made his country a civilised and respectable place.
    Being tolerant is fine but it leads on and on and there always must be a point of " This far, No further".

I think they need to bring in the cane here as a form of punishment. It should start with all these little juvenile delinquents who thumb their noses at the law every time they get caught, because they know they will be let off. A quick bit of corporal punishment and then you're done...no clogging up the jails or th courts..

my two cents worth anyway...

Diver D