Default The result of a leaking acetylene cylinder...

... in a plumber's van...
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

This is one reason I no longer have Oxy/Acet set up at home now I have a family.
    And people wonder why its illegal to carry a set enclosed in your car.
    Thanks for the reminder WW.
    Kevin

That attachment should be recommended viewing for anyone using the stuff

Im four suburbs away and felt the shed shake.

At the time they suspected the electronics from the keys/central locking caused the spark that ignited it. Not sure what the official explanation was.

I thought it was illegal and has been for over 10 years. I believed you needed a gas safe to hold gas bottles. That was a sealed steel box with a vent tube going through the floor. I mean cripes the first person you protect with one of those is yourself. That going off in your van wouldnt do much for your hairstyle.

Quote Originally Posted by rrobor View Post
    I thought it was illegal and has been for over 10 years. I believed you needed a gas safe to hold gas bottles. That was a sealed steel box with a vent tube going through the floor. I mean cripes the first person you protect with one of those is yourself. That going off in your van wouldnt do much for your hairstyle.
    You are talking about LPG fitment in a camper or motorhome. LPG is heavier than air.

Acetylene is lighter than air.

No I am not actually, Im talking about a fleet of fridge mechanics vans. They could not get gas from CIG unless they had a gas safe. That would be mid to late 90s.

It looks like the van was fitted with a locker for the bottles, so it has obviously failed in this case, as to why, it could be numerous reasons, such as incorrectly fitted, not sealed properly, door left open.
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Exclamation

Glad I don't use the stuff any more!! It's bad news when things go wrong. Explosive from 2% -98% concentration in the air

Old TAFE teacher years ago told us about some clowns at Granville TAFE in Sydney many years ago running a balloon full of Acetylene up the flag pole in the quadrangle. This was followed by a lighted taper. The Explosion blew all the windows in the area to smitherines.

keithkarl2007 Guest

Holy crap that must have been some explosion

I remember one several years ago (late 70's?) about a bloke who was upset about his noisy neighbour's BBQ - he wasn't invited

He went down to the shed & filled a garbage bag with Oxy mix, then chucked it over the fence onto the BBQ.

No one was injured - something that got lots of comment - but the surrounding houses were somewhat the worse for wear. The photos showed the tosser's house - all the tiles were flipped upside down on the roof and the walls were reduced to studs with diamonds of fibro at the intersections. There were no intact windows in the block.