Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Smile Using HVLP Wagner W 860 E system

after a bit of research on what to spray stuff with, decided to go with HVLP Wagner system. Paid $329 in Bunnings. Unit is sturdy plastic construction, wouldn't withstand a nuclear blast, but won't fall apart in your hands like Karcher units.
    Main advantage before compressor/air gun is size and therefore portability. The whole lot can be packed away into a carry box, easily transported and utilized around the house to do little odd jobs. I am spraying quite a big lot of little veneer board units using Tung Oil, I am going to try to spray them assembled, so it's quite a fiddly job with a lot of corners and angles, so it will give the Wagner a good test especially detailing wise. Just did some testing spraying water. All the controls are on the gun, makes it easy to control air flow and amount of material put out. let's see what happens. i'll keep this thread updated as I go. I hope will give people a bit more of an idea on wagners

I'd be interested to see how you go. I researched these units a while ago, and the Wagners looked like some of the better HVLP units out there. I was surprised to find them in Bunnings to be honest - thought they would have gone for the cheapest brand.

Let's see how much of the finish ends up on the piece, and how much on you.....

I have the 560 I think it is and it works realy well with estapol, oils and I have a seperate head for paint finsihing. Good control, overspray is fair similar to most spray guns, far cheaper and more compact.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

I was surprised to see the wagners in Bunnings as well. I nearly bought the same unit online for $ 378. If i won't be as successful at coating all the corners as i wish to be, I am also considering obtaining a detailing attachment (basically just a long pipe bit) with extra container. $50,sold in Bunnies as well. Looks like a handy thing, because you can get in real tight corners with it. Hope I can do with out it though.

Yashinsky

How did you go with you unit? I'm looking at getting the same one for odd jobs around the house. I'll be happy if the finish is similar (or better) to aerosol spray cans. What's the verdict?

Very happy with the purchase of the wagner. Can achieve finish as good as anything else. I only sprayed Tung oil so cannot advise on any other finishing products. Tung oil is very liquid so I was spraying with the lowest air flow speed. So there is still plenty of power to spray much more viscous stuff.
    Best advantage in comparison with spray cans is the speed with which you complete the job. Very simple construction, easy to get a hang off. Very few parts therefore not much can go wrong. Left it couple of times dirty after finishing a job, was anticipating a
    hell of a job to clean it up later, ended up absolute breese. Few minutes later and 100 gramms of turps, she was ready to go. NB: I do not promote leaving your tools dirty after working. He-he-he
    You can also purchase second pot for around 30 bux if you want to spray paint and would like to keep the other one only for woodworking finishes.

To finish up, money well spend. portable, easy, superb finish. I think priced ok as well.

Cheers,

Alex

Thanks Alex! I'm more optimistic seeing you're happy with your wagner. I wonder if there is a portable HVLP system that will spray acrylic enamels in high gloss finish and do a decent job of it. They must exist ... hypothetically.

Initially, I bought a cheap ozito 40 dolla sprayer, tested it with water and promptly returned it the next day, could not hear what the guy had to say - went slightly deaf from the testing session ... heh