Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Whilst we may think it is un Australian to dob someone in to the authorities it is also very un Australian the way that truckdriver was driving. So this feeling is cancelled out by that truckie.

I would report it, if only in the hope that it will stop that driver from doing it to someone else and cause a serious accident.

Peter.

The worst are the ones on the major capital routes - time sensitive pressure.
    and bosses who just want it there on time. The outback ones are under less pressure because people accept the distances travelled better. The average punter in a capital city just doesn't realise the distance between Brisbane and Cairns or Darwin and this adds to the performance pressure from their customers. I know that sounds a little mixed up but the pressure comes from client expectation. They put it on a truck and expect it to get there in the same time it takes them to fly.

These guys are on a no win to a hiding no matter what they do. The good carriers maintain their service standards - the ones who don't try everything they can to compete and the spiral keeps declining. Hence the good carriers tend to be on the main routes and the second tier on the minor routes - there are good drivers on both but the pressure for under performers occurs on the prime routes mostly. The prime routes are daily the others less frequent depending on volume.

Not sure that would make any sense to anyone but it's all a case of demand and supply. :confused:

Jamie
    Perhaps it is better to be irresponsible and right, than to be responsible and wrong.
    Winston Churchill

Another topical Forum thread. Finger on the pulse...
    Quote Originally Posted by SMH 13/12/2004
    Container trucks will be hit with a levy to push more freight onto trains under a sweeping State Government strategy, but it will not be enough to prevent the number of semi-trailers on Sydney's roads doubling to almost 2 million within six years.

Cabinet papers seen by the Herald reveal trucking operators could face a levy of about $30 per container - and even higher charges depending on the roads they use and the times they travel - to pay for $2 billion in new roads, freight-handling facilities and train lines.

The Government wants to lift rail freight from Port Botany from 23 per cent to 40 per cent by 2011. But, if current patterns continue, the cabinet papers show that 3 million six-metre containers - referred to as 20-footers in the industry - will be carted on streets by 2021, a 300 per cent increase on current rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMH 13/12/2004
    A NSW government plan to introduce a levy on heavy vehicle freight could cripple the industry, unions and a peak trucking body warned today.

NSW Planning and Infrastructure Minister Craig Knowles today announced the first stage of the government's Port Freight Plan for Sydney.

It would include a levy for container trucks in a bid to encourage the delivery of more of the state's freight by rail.

The levy would be used to fund a $2 billion upgrade to state freight transport.

But the Australian Trucking Association and the Transport Workers Union have opposed the levy although they welcome attempts to improve freight infrastructure.

"We think it's important that the government of NSW establish a freight infrastructure advisory board of the like they're talking about to discuss the issues of freight demand and how they're managed within NSW," said association chief executive Chris Althaus.

"But taking an approach of simply applying a levy to the trucking industry is highly simplistic and won't achieve what is needed (and) a much more broadly-based solution is required."

Mr Althaus said the trucking industry could not afford to pay a levy.

"They (the government) could make the levy double that amount if they wanted to, but the reality is those charges will be passed on to exporters, to manufacturers and ultimately to consumers."

The trucking industry was not to blame for roads choked by freight.

"The level of vehicles on the road is simply a reflection of our economic growth," he said.

The trucking industry was of extreme economic importance to Australia with transport, storage and logistics accounting for about three to four per cent of GDP, he said.

According to the union, the government should collect any levy on freight containers from the importers themselves.

Being a transport economist this is right up my alley. We have some heavy vehicle dynamics modelling software here that can be quite terrifiying. It demonstrates (to our customers) just how easy it is for a truck to get out of control and jack knife. The amount of trailer "sway" that happens above 100km an hour is truly frightening.

After seeign our guru's presentation, I stay well away from water tankers (half empty ones slosh around) and most importantly, hay trucks. If you see a truck loaded high with hay be very careful when you pass it, one gust of wind. Luckily the standards for trucks are beign changed to a performance rather than an axle weight basis which should outlaw those light but towering death traps.

Unfortunately trucks are here to stay. As much as governments are trying to get freight onto rail, it will only ever reduce the growth in trucks, never reverse it. The real 'clogging' element on our roads is not trucks. It's 'white vehicles'. That is, small 3tonne delivery trucks, courier vans, and utes. For every truckload of goods, it takes 40 white vehicles to distribute.

Now, lets talk about truckies. The idea that they have to work 16 hours a day to make a living is ********. The average truckies can earn up to $100k per year doing interstate or LD work. The fact is that young guys dont want to do it. So theres a limited number of truckies and a growth in freight. Who is more wealthy, the truckie who never sees his family but earns $100k per year or the public servant that works 8-4:30 and earns 50k per year?
    Cheers,

Adam

------------------------------------------

I can cure you of your Sinistrophobia

I used to wonder why most truckies seemed to be idiots - then I realised that if they had any brains, they wouldn't be truckies.

Reporting this guy to his company will probably be a WOFTAM. You need to report him to the police, and make it clear that if necessary you will go to court as a witness, and that you will follow up. Otherwise, unless they catch him themselves, nothing will happen. They can't do anything if you aren't prepared to be a witness.
    If you report him you should make a formal statement, and if nothing happens, you need to follow up - a letter to your local pollie is a good start - as some police are too lazy to do anything. A common excuse is that even if it goes to court he'll probably get off. That's crap. As a cyclist, I made a policy of reporting deliberate or repeated harrassment, and in every case that went to court, the offender copped a fine. But in some cases I had to stir up the pollies (& in one case, internal investigations) before anything happened.

That's not a rant against the police, as in most cases they acted quickly & professionally, but you do need to know what to do if they aren't.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Rob,

Yes, call the company.

And as has been mentioned, call 000 at the time. The traffic boys love it when a truck plays up. You will get a response almost certainly, particularly if the circumstances are the same as you have stated. It is a serious danger to others on the road. He has brakes on his truck and he had plenty of time to use them. Carrying 63t is only an excuse for the red light cameras.

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

I quite like some of the vehicles of a certain Telco company that speed and weave their way through the freeway traffic. I know that 75% or more of the vehicles on the freeway are doing the same thing ... but they dont have a sticker on their bumper that says they support safe driving
    Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!

just wondering if he gose to police and says that he was doing 70 klms in a 60 zone would he not be indicting himself in a crime as well ?

they might understand the reason why he was speeding ( because of the semi ) but he has also admitted to breaking the law ?

so wouldnt he be booked as well ?

jsut like top stir things up and see what replys this gets

merry christmas to all

david

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHammer
    I've driven the highway between Sydney and Coffs Harbour a few times over the last two months and I've seen one almost every trip, seems to be worse at night......
    I never saw ya!

Peter R.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter R
    I never saw ya!

Peter R.
    I was the blur to your right..
    Always look on the bright side...