Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default U- Beaut Water Dyes.

I just recently purchased some U-Beaut Water dyes to play around with. One thing that I noticed is that there is no black and I do not think a white.

Why would that be? They have a greenish black but no jet black. I suppose there is a reason but the two colours I need are a white and a black.

Any suggestions?

Peter

I find that if you want a true black, or as close to it as you can get, Feast Watson have an oil based black which is quite good. White?????? Dunno!!

You don't want dye you want paint.

There is no true black dye. If you want a more black colour take a little of the green black and add a couple of drops of red which will kill the green and give a blacker black but by its nature the timber will affect the colour the dye ends in the wood. If you're dying redgum or other red timbers with the green black it should end up more black. A whitewood will be more on the greeny black side.

They are food dyes, they change the colour of the timber without losing any of the grain. If you want a true black you need to get a stain not a dye. Even then it's pretty well impossible to get a true black and as for white. No such thing exists in a dye, you need paint.

You can't dye a timber lighter than it is, only darker and even then there are some pretty big limits.

What exactly are you trying to dye?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by STAR View Post
    I just recently purchased some U-Beaut Water dyes to play around with. One thing that I noticed is that there is no black and I do not think a white.

Why would that be? They have a greenish black but no jet black. I suppose there is a reason but the two colours I need are a white and a black.

Any suggestions?

Peter

Hi Peter,

I thought we found what you were looking for...Woof woof.

Oh well see you Wednesday week.

Cheers

Steve
    Discover your Passion and Patience follows.
    www.fineboxes.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by ubeaut View Post
    You don't want dye you want paint.

There is no true black dye.
    Hmmm not so sure about that, although because they are dye's they suffer from transparency so the substrate has influence on the finale result. As with solid pigment most blacks have an undertone that leans towards blue, sometimes green.

Haymes used to have a good black, both in the old oil based "wood dye" and an alcohol based product also. Didn't tend to look to black, although these are no longer available :/ Like a lot of Haymes more traditional products since the bean counters got in on the act.

On the other hand I've never seen a good waterbased dye that is black... so maybe its horses for courses, you want a black black you need a solvent other than water. White on the other hand, I have to concur, whites a pigment no matter which way you look at it, and liming is effectively as white as you get.

If you do several treatments of the straight green/black on jarrah or red gum, it looks as close to black as you could hope for. I do the wheels of my toy cars with it and it works well.

As they say, white is paint!!!

Cheers,

Chipman

Thanks everybody for their input, I am taking it all in.

It was a question I had wondered about and after some general inquiries as to why, no one could give me a conclusive answer. While I have come up with some temporary solutions to my immediate problem, it is the long term that I was looking at and the fact that I hate having hanging around in my head unfinished answers or more importantly not knowing where to go to solve some some of the " Why is it so? " matters.

Thanks

Peter

You won't get your best answer until we find out what exactly it is you're trying to achieve. What timber and what for, eg: toys, turned items furniture, etc.

There are ways around most problems but without full knowledge or disclosure from you there's not really any point in giving anything more than a general answer.

You want deep black, oil stain it black then add a little black stain into the poly works a treat... even on chipboard DAMHIKT!