Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default need a little help with wetstone

Where in the melbourne area can i buy a japanese wetstone, double sided with 1000 grit one side and 6000 on the other.

I have decided that the above is best for sharpening the 2 knives i bought from the king of knives melbourne, ( I also bought a chefs choice 450 which I threw away)

The above conclusion is because of my searches on the web how to sharpen kitchen knives. Would it be advisable to also buy a steel to maintain the edge.

If anybody has a better idea would you let me know please, I searched on this site, the web, and youtube and have now ended up more confused than when i started.

Thank you for any help

John macklin

Hi!
    Very much depends of the kind of knives you have bought corelate to the type of knives you own.
    For Japanese knives use Japanese wet stone just soak in water and way you go. Bear in mind thee stones are synthetic and not natural the qaurries have been mined out. These stones wear a lot so you have to restore them every now and them before using them on knives.
    Japanese knives have only one edge and they are thin blade they are more of a slicing type.
    On the other hand you can get away buying a ceramic 1000 or 6000 stone does not require oli nor water they are very hard and sharpen all kind of blades. I got mine from the knives collectors association from Perth.
    They are far cheaper and more knowlegeable than The King of Knives
    Knife Sharpening Kits and Systems,
    Diamond Plates & Ceramic Benchstones

Australasian Knife Collectors Email, fax, phone or mail to:
    AKC Mailorder
    Tel: 08 9572 7255 Fax: 08 9572 7266
    PO Box 149 CHIDLOW 6556 WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    [email protected]
    Australian Pensioners Forums
    Fifties and Over Independent Forums

I'd not recommend a combo stone with 1000 grit as one side, unless you're pinching pennies. The 1000 grit stone will wear a lot faster than the 6000 grit, and it likely is more economical to get a single stone for the coarser grit.

I use a King (brand) 1200 grit full thickness for 'starters' and convexing edges, and a vintage blue Aoto for scratch removal. The Aoto is a fast way to work through the 2000-4000 grit range and some folks settle for that.

I use a Belgian Blue for the 4000-6000 range, and the cream colored Belgian coticule for 6000-8000. (these are approximate grit sizes, it's not so precise as all that).

My final polish is a Chinese Slate that removes the last trace of haze from a mirror polish, and is about 10,000 to 12,000 grit.

The trick to owning expensive stones is start with the coarsest and purchase them at intervals as your sharpening skill improves. The intervals get longer as the stones become more expensive.

Natural stones are less predictable but more enjoyable, IMO. The synthetics aren't usually cheaper but they're often faster, and usually more accessible. GOOD waterstones can be inexpensive, but don't expect it. FWIW a great many used stones sell at a fraction of new price. That's where to seek out bargains..

I wouldn't bother polishing a knife bevel.

Leaving serrations in mean they slice better.

A steel is helpful to straighten and clean the edge.
    Cheers, Ern

There is a nice demonstration of sharpening Japanese knives at:Sharpening Japanese Knives - The Japanese Food Report

I hope this is of some help. I liked the method used for setting the angle.

Don

I'm a lifelong 'convex' sharpener, and can't be bothered to change flavors at my age.. so I can't partake of most japanese techniques. Sharpening single bevel knives has the virtue of replicability, and is IMO the easiest technique to learn, but single bevels are just ONE option and in no way intrinsically more effective.

It is more truthful to say that the Japanese knives and sharpening techniques have evolved together, and modern stones produce precise results on top end knives.

But many's the good cook with razor sharp knives that doesn't own one japanese stone OR knife. If you're working in a world class restaurant you'll have a differing job description for your knives than a hobby cook, and some excellent chefs can't sharpen a paring knife..It's very much more the taste and experience of the individual than some dogmatic 'best'. Cause, if you've got two guys sharpening knives you've got three 'Best' methods.