Hi all,

Just wanting to run an idea past you all.
I am planning on taking our pergola down, as it is pretty ridiculous. I think the person that built it must have been about 4 foot tall, as when you get up onto the next level of the yard it is a nightmare. It's also only shade cloth.
I want to replace it with a simple flat roof design, sloping back towards the house and i will have a box/valley gutter running into a water tank. The dimensions will be 7.2m long and 3.4m deep. The height is what i'm playing around with at the moment, as It needs to slope enough to run the water, but not too much so that it looks a bit stupid. I will start it at about 2.5m on the wall of the house (to give enough room for the drain and the lintel that will be there when I remove the door, window and wall inbetween and put some nice bi-fold doors in ), and will probably have a raise of .5m over the length, making the total post length on the opposite side of 3m. That will make the angle about 8.3 degrees, and I'm thinking that will be plenty.

For the roof, thinking a mix of PC and colourbond sheeting, to let in some light.

Any thoughts on whether to use steel or timber? I want to have the least amount of visual distraction as possible...

Thanks,
Ben

Attached Thumbnails

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...