Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Gidday all - from an old woman

OK - I'm from the far south coast of NSW and a relative newcomer (as will be seen) to serious woodwork. I've taken it up because my husband has taken over our office and the computer (!!) and we don't occupy a small space together very well. So, I got the workshop - a good trade IMHO.

After lurking for a while, I'm posting now because I got attacked by my table saw yesterday and came into the forum to read up on kickback, and the GRR-Ripper etc. I admit to everything - including doing all the "don'ts". HOWEVER, in my defence, my old el very cheapo table saw didn't bite - I guess because it has a river/splitter - and I got used to working without the guard, which was crap and a nuisance. (I didn't know what that "thing" behind the blade was for, and the manual didn't explain.) Anyway, I lashed out and bought myself a new 10" Makita and started sawing away - without the guard. Total ecstasy until a filthy great pine board came flying through the air at (I am told) 125MPH and savaged my shoulder. Luckily it wasn't my head. Although my head probably needed a good knock to get some sense into it.

So, I am off to buy a GRR-Ripper after reading up on it. None of the featherboards I have seen that look good will fit my system, and the Ripper looks like a great option. One more trip to what my hubby calls the bottomless piggybank. If I ever make anything remarkable all this capital expenditure will be justified .....

Great forum BTW.

Cheers

Hoods, welcome and you are catching-up fast - you have some terms working for you better than many of us and seem to know what you are supposed to do.

soth

Welcome to the forum.

Better not do that again. At least you are learning. Better not to make it the hard way.

Thanks guys. I won't be doing it again any time soon, trust me!

Welcome Hoods you're doing OK if you've got WW bug and making something in the shed that makes you happy.

Since you've been surfing the site you know that there is also a forum here for ladies that is both informative and helpful with a lot of ladies doing what you're doing...enjoying themselves with wood.

Cheers
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Welcome Hoods,
    you might even show us what to do, keep on doing it and enjoy

Jack

Welcome Hoods, you got the best end of the deal, woodwork over these rotten computers any day.
    Have fun and stay safe.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Saxton View Post
    Since you've been surfing the site you know that there is also a forum here for ladies that is both informative and helpful with a lot of ladies doing what you're doing...enjoying themselves with wood.

Cheers
    I don't go there very often.

Welcome to our little forum. Hope to see some of your work soon. Glad you came off ok after the entanglement with the wood.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Quote Originally Posted by tea lady View Post
    I don't go there very often.

Welcome to our little forum. Hope to see some of your work soon. Glad you came off ok after the entanglement with the wood.
    Thanks tealady and guys. A ladies' forum?? Never been a lady, myself.

So far, because I only had a cordless screwdriver, a handsaw and a mouse sander up until a few weeks ago, I have only done a few very basic things: a book case, office shelf unit, shoe racks etc. Oh, and I made wooden swords, daggers and battleaxes for the grandsons which they think are the bee's knees. (They have now ordered double-barrel shotguns ...... ???!!) Made some really neat simple boxes for the girls, too.

Since then, because of all of the above being so enjoyable, I have built a workbench and been gradually buying a decent lot of tools: my famous saw most recently, a cheapo mitre saw, a bench drill, a router and table, and a sander. At the moment I am just learning to use these on sacrificial stock. (Me being sacrifical too, it seems!) I am not sure what else is essential but that will probably do me for now!

Thumbs up

G´day \Hoods and welcome to the cubby.

Good to have another female member. Can´t say lady as I don´t know about that yet.

Hi Hoods, welcome to the show.
    Be careful huh, don't like it to hear accidents.
    Ad

You are very welcome, Hoods. You write so entertainingly, a pleasure to read.
    You have been very busy, too.
    Please take all care.

Welcome to the forum
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John